Cleaning Messy Bums

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends how messy. Unscented baby wipes for minor messes. For dried on clumps, careful trimming with blunt nose scissors and a comb between the skin and the cutting, to protect from accidentally nipping the skin.

Actual bathing isn't normally recommended except in specific circumstances when the butt is messier than wipes or trimming can handle, and to help prevent urine scald and fly strike from occurring. And then only a butt bath and best done under the advisement of a knowledgeable rabbit vet, because of the risks involved, like injury, hypothermia, shock, cardiac arrest. Then careful and thorough drying. Fur left wet can make a rabbit susceptible to hypothermia and flystrike.

https://rabbit.org/the-dangers-of-giving-a-rabbit-a-bath/
The most important point is determining why your rabbit is getting a messy bum and correcting the problem if it's dietary, or seeing the vet if it's a health issue.

Trimming has to be done very carefully. Blunt nose scissors prevent accidental puncture if the rabbit struggles. And a comb in between the skin and scissors prevents cutting the skin. Though if in doubt or if uncomfortable/inexperienced doing this, best to consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

I’m pretty sure it’s just from them sitting in their pee to often but I’ll make sure to check.
It is not usual for a rabbit to regularly have a messy bum. If they are able to "sit in their pee" and not due to a health reason, then the enclosure is not setup properly. Rabbits are very clean and will groom themselves. If they are unable to keep themselves clean (and isn't because they are too aged or overweight to reach themselves) then the reason is likely because of a less-than-ideal housing setup that forces them to sit in their pee. It may simply be a matter of making some changes to their enclosure.

It is not usual for a rabbit to regularly have a messy bum. If they are able to "sit in their pee" and not due to a health reason, then the enclosure is not setup properly. Rabbits are very clean and will groom themselves. If they are unable to keep themselves clean (and isn't because they are too aged or overweight to reach themselves) then the reason is likely because of a less-than-ideal housing setup that forces them to sit in their pee. It may simply be a matter of making some changes to their enclosure.
Overweight may be the problem. They are both from previous homes where they were free-fed. I’m trying to take down their weight with less pellets and more hay and extra fresh foods. One is around 3 pounds (which is very big for his breed, although he does not have the dwarf gene) I’m not sure the other weight but she has had two litters before she came to me so she may also be a little more weighty from “baby fat”.

Just cleaned the bunnies. As you’ll see in the pics they are pretty large rabbits and are fuzzy (we’re pretty sure the more black one is half Jersey Wooly)
10C11F6C-C369-4B53-BAC7-E47FC74074AC.jpeg
the one above is the male, he’s the black otter, he wasn’t as messy as the female and I forgot to get a before picture
7A2F160F-46F2-42F0-A1C1-1D2CA0AF9924.jpeg
this is the before of the female.
69C6F0A8-BC88-4A5A-ACE2-B530E26077C0.jpeg
this is her after I cleaned her and clipped some fur. It’s still a little messy, but I believe now she’ll start taking over her cleaning because it’s more manageable now.

Latest posts

Back