Cleaning Ears and Eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*nepo*

Reaction score
Does anyone have anysuggestions on how to clean bunny's ears and/or eyes? I use tocleanboth ofthem with a cotton swab, but I've beenwondering if there's so anyething else that'll clean better.:)

Greetings Nepo! :)

I personally leave the cleaning of their ears to them and the vets. Myvets use a Q-tip, but because of their sharp movements and my notknowing exactly how far down to go and what I'm doing, I don't messwith it. Just like we shouldn't use Q-tips in our ears, I figure thesame for my rabbits. I leave it up to the vet.

Tucker-Bucker does get wax build-ups more than the others, and for thatI give him Eradimite. It also helps with ear mites; it breaks down thewax and is made for rabbits.

I don't play with their eyes either, just as I wouldn't play aroundwith my own. It's too important. If they have some crusties - or at onepoint when Fauna's eye duct was plugged - I would use a towel with warmwater to wipe them clean.

:)

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Greetings Nepo! :)

I personally leave the cleaning of their ears to them and the vets. Myvets use a Q-tip, but because of their sharp movements and my notknowing exactly how far down to go and what I'm doing, I don't messwith it.

Tucker-Bucker does get wax build-ups more than the others, and for thatI give him Eradimite. It also helps with ear mites; it breaks down thewax and is made for rabbits.

-Carolyn
Sometimes I do get kind of nervous when I clean his ears. Where can you find the eradimite? :)

When you take Nepo in to be fixed, ask your vet for a prescription forit. I think it's under $10 and it's definitely worth it. All you needis one drop in each ear, and they're good for months.

-Carolyn

P.S. Ask the vet to check that too, Nepo, when hegoes in. When they check his ears, have them clean them. It only takesthem a second.

Tucker's my only rabbit that does have an issue with ear wax build up.

Carolyn wrote:
When you take Nepo in to be fixed, ask your vet for a prescription forit. I think it's under $10 and it's definitely worth it. All you needis one drop in each ear, and they're good for months.

-Carolyn
I'll try to remember that. And the ear check too :)

Istead of cotton balls, I would prefer to use gauze pads.

Cotton balls can leave fibers behind and can cause additonal complications.

I do, however, use Q-Tips in some cases, such as cleaning scent glands.First warm water and a towel to loosen everything up...and then a Q-Tipwith warm water to clean.

:~) Jim

Carolyn wrote:
P.S.Ask the vet to check that too, Nepo, when he goes in. When they checkhis ears, have them clean them. It only takes them a second.

Tucker's my only rabbit that does have an issue with ear wax build up.

Our vet cleans their ears whenever we bring them in.. ..regardless of the reason we are there.

We brought Chippy in for loose poopies...and the vet cleaned her ears.Chippy looked a little confused..like.."Hey, the problems at theother end lady :shock: !?!?"

I love our vet. She's the bunniehuggers binkie :p. She knows aboutcanned pumpkin and fresh pineapple, too ;)!!

:~) Jim

*nepo* wrote:
Pam, do you just put some of thecontact stuff on a cotton ball and then clean their eyes?:)

No -- don't actually touch the eye. Just squirt in over theeye -- and only when there is something in the eye (such as hair or apiece of hay). If you are cleaning off *under* the eye, youcan use a cotton ball.

Pam

The way to clean a dogs ear is to dampen acottonball with rubbing alcohol, squeeze out any access liquid, becauseyou don't want to actually put liquids into the ear canal, and wipedown the inside of the ear. If the ear is still dirty, you can take aQ-tip and gently get the rest. Never stick the Q-tip right in therethough, as you can do damage.

I always figured if it was safe for dogs it was okay for rabbits.

Though you can't clean cats ears that way because they freak out over the popping noises alcohol can make.

alchohol pops ?? are you thinking peroxide maybe? i dont think i would use peroxide on the ears of any animal ,superficial cuts maybe but not in the ear , as for alcohol if it getsinto the ear canel it can create more problems than it can fix.

Latest posts

Back