Cigarettes and bunnies . Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariana

Reaction score
So something has been on my mind and I am concerned. My father smokes in the house and I know it’s not good for me or animals but I can’t do anything about it . The only good thing is my dad is gone from 5am to 6pm so there isn’t constant smoke. We open windows. Is there anything I can do to help lessen the effects? I open the huge windows in his room. Should Wipe him down daily , get a air purifier or humidifier? Anything I can do . I feel so bad he has to live this way .

You could put a fan right in front of the window so it blows the fresh air into the room. An air purifier may work also. Depending on your budget, I'd recommend just trying the air purifier. Do you keep the door to the rabbit's room/area closed? I find that keeps the scent out of my room. You could also try asking your dad to do it outside. That seems like a stretch though. I'm sorry, both of my parents also smoke but they usually keep it outside.

It's a long shot, but it could be worth bringing up the idea of an e-cigarette. As someone who smoked for a long time, I can tell you that some of them really aren't at all satisfying compared to actual cigarettes but others come pretty close as far as simulating the feel of smoking a cigarette. My husband agreed to quit with me when I quit a couple years ago but he could never quite give them up entirely... however, we found an inexpensive e-cigarette brand (NJoy) that he really likes so now I've got him smoking that instead of the occasional cigarette. They're hardly a "healthy" alternative since nicotine is still pretty bad for you (and your blood pressure), but at least they're LESS unhealthy and most importantly, there's no second-hand smoke.

Instead of asking him to give up real cigarettes completely in favor of e-cigs (which sounds very unappealing at first to a life-long smoker - trust me), I would try to talk him into a compromise where he replaces just 1-2 cigarettes a day with the e-cigarette. If you can get him to do that, then it may be possible to gradually nudge him to increase the amount of e-cigarette and reduce the actual cigarettes, at least when he's at home. Some second-hand smoke is better than tons, after all!

There's also a product out there (you can find it on Amazon and at other online retailers) called "smoke buddy" that you might ask him if he's willing to try out. You exhale the cigarette smoke into the smoke buddy and it filters the majority of the smoke and odor out of the air, greatly reducing the amount of second-hand smoke produced. It's basically a hand-held air purifier, from the looks of it.

I always keep his door shut, I will do the fan trick and ask my mother about the air purifier as she is concerned as well. He has tried e cigarettes but he stops using them after a month. And since you guys help me so much I had another question, How do I know If a bowl Is safe for my rabbit to use? Strange right but i know they’re made with different chemicals and stuff so what should I look for ?

Last edited:
Anything labeled as safe for pet or human use should be fine... I get mine from Dollar Tree. I like the bigger, plastic one for my pair since they drink more and the smaller ceramic one for Alice because it's too heavy for her to flip!

Latest posts

Back