Chronic Upper Respiratory Infection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j123

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a few questions about my rabbit's

Sorry I accidentally posted before I finished typing! Apologies in advance, it's kind of a long one!

My rabbit's been on 3 different antibiotics for a URI. His main symptom was a very wet nose, matting on his paws, and occasional sneezing. His culture showed that he tested positive for a high concentration of bacteria (I'm not sure which one). He started on 3 weeks of veraflox (no improvement), then 3 weeks on zeniquin (slightly less discharge), then 3 weeks on a higher dose of zeniquin, and 3 weeks of azythromycen (much less nasal discharge and less matting, but still not gone).

Last week we did a blood test for EC, because the vet thought that it might be causing a weak immune response and preventing him from fighting of the last bit of the infection, but it came back negative. So as happy I am that he doesn't have EC, we still don't know why he can't get over it! In the meantime he's still on the azythromycen this week (it will be the 4th week he's on it) until we figure out next steps, and there's still discharge. They are recommending an X-ray of his sinus cavity to see if there is an abscess/ polyp or something in his nasal passage that could be causing or worsening the bacterial infection. They also mention the possibility of flushing it to remove the infection. So I made an appointment for the x-ray and I guess I will see what happens when I get there and speak to them in person about the flushing.

Was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and what it turned out to be? The vet tech did say that some rabbits can live with chronic respiratory infections and basically be fine, so I'm not sure if I'm overreacting over what's basically just a runny nose. It just makes me nervous that after months of antibiotics he can't get rid of it. But he's otherwise perfectly healthy and happy. Thoughts? Thank you in advance!

hopefully he will be fine
and if the vet says that their is a possibility that they can live with it then trust them

my rabbit has lived with a benign tumour in his dullap for 10 years and he's fine because we trusted the vets
he just uses it as a pillow

Do you live in the USA? Have they tried baytril? Im not familiar with the antibiotics!
My 2 year old rabbit Macy has a chronic upper respiratory infection. She has nasal discharge and sneezing as her only symptom and has had them since she was about 6 months old. She has had many tests, been on many antibiotics and nothing clears it up completely. We treat based on her symptoms, only doing antibiotics when she seems to be sneezing more. We have found that nebulizing an antibiotic in conjunction with oral baytril helps calm things down. We also try to boost her immune system through a high quality balanced diet and some extra supplements such as oxbow immune support daily, pro biotics regularly and this powder my vet gives me to put on her food sometimes (it's sort of like a multivitamin). By doing those things routinely, we have made it so that Macy only gets "flare ups" once every six months or more. At the moment she hasn't had a flare up since September! She still sneezes but her symptoms are not bad at all.
Let me know if you have any questions! I've struggled with this for her for awhile and it's been both emotionally exhausting and expensive.

Bunny had some similar symptoms..(1) runny eye and matted hair under the eye. There's a tear duct that runs from their eye to their sinus. It can get clogged, so the drainage flows outside onto the hair. For a rabbit, it's easily solved. The vet takes a syrnge and flushes out the duct. For a rabbit it can be done without anesthetic since the duct is large...for a cat anesthetic is required (2) Sneezing. There's a bacteria in rabbits' respiratory system that they have all their life. When they get old and their immune system weakens, and the bacteria can cause a sneezing situation. Azithromycin is prescribed for sneezing/sniffles.

Giving Bunny medicine. Her first medicine was Metacam. This was a anelghesic for her spinal stenosis (back pain). Every morning she expected a 1 inch slice of banana. We would cut a conical cut in the banana slice and syringe in the 1 1/2 ml of Metacam. Bunny would typically lick up the Metacom before eating the banana slice. For azithromycin, using the banana slice for some reason wouldn't work. It had to be by syringe. My wife would hold Bunny on the top of the dining room table, I'd sit on the floor..and put the syringe in her mouth. There's an empty space between their front incisors and their molars..that's were you put the tip of the syringe. It has a sweet taste, like the Metacam, so after a few sessions, Bunny wasn't really fussed with being syringed. It was effective for stopping sneezing.

Thank you all for your replies! They made me feel better while I waited for our appointment today. The dr flushed his tear ducts (one cleared easily, the other took a little effort to drain) he suspects that the infection is being prolonged by clogging in the tear ducts so he prescribed an eye drop (not for the eye itself but to be dropped into the tear duct, to clear it out) and we're going to continue on azythromycen for 2 weeks also. Fingers crossed that this clears it up!

Did you get the x-ray done? It's possible there's an infection from the root of a tooth growing up to far, which is why the antibiotics are only clearly it temporarily before it comes straight back again.

he probably has a virulent form of Pasturella. There are many different forms of this illness and it tends to stay in the rabbits system even if it "appears" gone. (it goes into hiding)

DO NOT get any other rabbit while you have him as he can give it to the other rabbit EVEN IF it appears that his symptoms are gone.

you may or may not be able to force it into remission. you could try naturally boosting his immune system by supplementing his diet with vitamin C.

Ladysown is right! Macy has pasturella and it's what we've been struggling with. She got it from her boyfriend Leo, and his hasn't shown any symptoms since the first round of antibiotics (even though he's most likely still a carrier).

Do be alert the virulent forms of pasturella can affect bone density and a whole lot of systemic issues in rabbits.

PLEASE do not get any other rabbits until the two you currently own have lived out their natural lives.
Boost their immune systems, do not stress them (and if you do be prepared to battle it again).

Antibiotics may not be needed anymore...just isolate them from other rabbits and give their bodies time to fight back. Or they might be, your vet will be of assistance to you in this regard.

Ladysown if you read my previous post you'll know that I agree with your suggestions and already abide by them :)

When mine had a respiratory infection I went the the vet that was the best in my area and after two vets gave antibiotics that didn't work she gave Azithromycin and it cleared up. But she told me the next one she would use if it didn't clear up was injectable penicillins. So I thought I would pass that along just incase you want to ask your vet about injectable penicillins.

Latest posts

Back