Chopping veg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delusional

Reaction score
Okay, so we have recently acquired two new bunnies from a rescue - Ollie and Rose. Ollie had to have his front teeth taken out, because they were growing badly (not sure on the specifics), but their vet said his back teeth checked out okay.

So, we have to chop all his veg very small so that he can get it in his mouth, since he can't bite chunks off himself.

What I'm wondering is, shoudl I chop ALL the veg for the two bunnies very small, so that both bunnies have the opportunity to get the same amount (instead of Rose eating some of the finely chopped stuff and not leaving enough for Ollie), or should I be leaving some of the pieces bigger so that Rose can bit chinks off and chew on them like she would normally?

I've been giving Rose bigger chunks as treats and she seems to like tearing them apart (wheras Ollie will lick finely chopped bits from your hand - so cute!). I guess I'm just wondering if it's detrimental to her to have finely chopped veg?

I wouldn't say it is detrimental having the food finely chopped.

If it was me I would chop it all small so that Ollie is not at a disadvantage with the amount of food he can eat. If you want Rose to have bigger bits, maybe separate them when you give them their food (but so they can see each other), and then put them back together when they have eaten.

If the front teeth were removed that was probably malocclusion.

Yeah I was thinking that but they never actually said that word so I didn't want to assume.

I guess I will stick with chopping it all small then, and giving bigger bits as treats for Rose. =)

My boy Max also has his front incisors removed, and he shares a room with his buddy Basil- who is a little piggy. When I feed them veggies, I separate them. The thing is toothless Max eats a little slower than Basil. Because of this, Basil will wind up eating more even if I do chop all the veggies up for both of them.

So I chop up Max's and leave Basil's whole. I usually put one in the cage to eat. That way you know theyre each getting the same amt.

I have one who has no teeth and two who have full set of teeth. There is somethings we have tochop up and somethings we don't.We watch him and see what heneeds chopped up.

We servethem all at the same time.Nothing stops him. He eats more than the other two. Eventually they get between him and the food blocking him from it.

Latest posts

Back