Chocolate Brown mini-lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lbolar

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a second bunny as a buddy for Ralph. I'm looking for aspecific breed that I fell in love with but I'm not sure where to findit. I've googled breeders and looked in all the shelters in our area,and if I don't find it I will just adopt a different one from ashelter, but I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could locate abreeder or how to to ask about this specifc color. I'm looking for achocolate brown mini-lop. The entire rabbit was a very rich brown withit's face and ears slightly darker. It was gorgeous. The only way Iknow how to look is to type in "dark brown lop" and I haven't come upwith anything. I live in Los Angeles if anyone knows of any rabbitbreeders who may have what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone. You arealways so helpful!

I know of a breeder in CA who has chocolateholland lops but I don't know about chocolate MINI lops. Are you sureit was a mini lop vs. a holland lop?

I'll PM you with their information.

Peg

A sable holland lop is possibly what your after?They are a brown sort of colour with darker face and ears (also feetand tail). I have a sable mini lop which is the new Zealand equivalentin size and type to the US holland lop:

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/a31cefiro/Lucky and BunBun/

He's the one that isn't the black white a ginger one :). I don't knowabout over there but the actual chocolate coloured holland/ NZ minisare very hard to come by. The black otter in that album is a chocolatecarrier but she's spayed so it doesn't really matter I suppose.

Sounds like you are looking for a Siamese Sable(aka Siamese Sable Point) colored lop. This color has a milk chocolatecolored body, with deeper colored points. They usually have brown eyeswith a slight ruby cast.

Here is a pic:
mocha.jpg.w300h200.jpg

Note: This is not my rabbit. It is an image that came up in google.

If you don't find the color you are looking for in rescue, I'd look fora responsible breeder of whichever sized lop you prefer and then lookinto if they have that color.

Good luck on your search!

I love the sable, however the one I saw was evendarker. I'm trying to upload the picture right now so you all can see.And thanks Peg, for that link. I'm going to give them a call.

clarzoo wrote:
Sounds like you are looking for a Siamese Sable (aka SiameseSable Point) colored lop. This color has a milk chocolate colored body,with deeper colored points. They usually have brown eyes with a slightruby cast.

Actually, Siamese Sable and Siamese Sable Point are two different colors.

Sharon

It's a little hard to tell from the photo, butit looks like you're looking for a Tort or possibly Chocolate Tort MiniLop.

Here's what a Chocolate Mini Lop looks like - (Following 2Photo's courtesy of Hoppin' Herd of Hare's website)

raspberry9mths2.jpg

swissy2halfyrs3.jpg

Here's a picture of a Tort (courtesy of Karen Vail viathe MLRCAwebsite):

tortsport.JPG

Here's a Chocolate Tort (courtesy of Karen Vail viathe MLRCAwebsite):

choctort.jpg

I hope this helps you find what you're looking for.

~Sunshine

Lbolar, is the rabbit colour you're looking forhave a grey belly and an orangey brown top? As previous posters said,you could be looking for any one of several browny colours in theholland colour range. Tort also has darker nose and ears (which is thegrey belly and oraqngey top colour).

Sharon,

I disagree.

Sable Point and Siamese Sable Point, yes, are different colors. ButSiamese Sable and Siamese Sable Point are one and the same. As far asI've been able to research the correct name for this color is eitherSiamese Sable or just plain Sable (as in the breed, American Sable).Siamese Sable Point is a misnomer- but still commonly used- especially,it seems, in the lop breeds.

Check out this link for genetic and photo references:
Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
clarzoo wrote:
Sounds like you arelooking for a Siamese Sable (aka Siamese Sable Point) colored lop. Thiscolor has a milk chocolate colored body, with deeper colored points.They usually have brown eyes with a slight ruby cast.

Actually, Siamese Sable and Siamese Sable Point are two different colors.

Sharon

Clarzoo,

http://www.geocities.com/karinvail/shaded.html

Here is an awesome color guide provided by the Mini Lop Club ofAmerica. It has great pics and also have "aka" names for thevarieties. "Sable Point...aka Siamese Sable Point" and"Siamese Sable" are listed. You will see that SablePoint and Siamese Sable Point are the same variety. SiameseSable is very different. Siamese Sable and Sable are the samecolor.

Sharon

That is a great resource. I'm not trying tosplit hares (hee hee :D), but, if you read closely under the SablePoint it says "aka siamese, (comma) seal point" not siamesesable point. To me it seems as that chart only backs up what I saidearlier. I'd be happy agreeing to disagree on this one. Rabbit geneticsare tricky enough without humans going and naming one genetic colormany different names!

Somehow my previous post left out the link I tried to add. Let me try again:
http://www.thenaturetrail.com/Rabbit-Coat-Color-Chart.htm

There! Hope that works. I'd love to continue chatting colors- butperhaps we should continue through PM so we don't continue to derailthis thread!!

edited to try and fix quotes, but ended up messing it up more. I will get the hang of this someday!

Wow Missycove! If the rabbit in the Castaicshelter is in fact brown, she would be just what I'm looking for.Gender and age too! Is Madonna the one you were referring to at theshelter where you volunteer? She's beautiful also. I'd love to comecheck her out also.

Wow, I learned so much about rabbit breeds today...:)

Thanks everyone!! I'll be sure to update with a pic of the new bun once I find her.

I also have a color genetics site on rabbits http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

Sable point and siamese sable are different colors in both phenotye andgenetcially. Sable point is the non-extension"ee"version of siamese sable (aka sable). In otherwords, sable point has a homozygous recessive gene that siamese sabledoes not.

The term "seal point" is rarely used in the United States - it simply refers to a dark sable point.

The term "siamese" when used to refer to the same phenotype color as"sable point"is breed specific only.It is used only to designate the sable point color in the Satinrabbit breed, but is not the same as siamese in other breeds.

Clarzoo had posted an excellent example of a siamese sable in a previous post.

Below is a photo of a siamese satin. The variety is known as sable point in other breeds. . .

maitai1.jpg

Photo credit:http://hometown.aol.com/Shecago12/myhomepage

Pam

Lbolar wrote:
Wow Missycove! If the rabbit in the Castaic shelter is infact brown, she would be just what I'm looking for. Gender and age too!Is Madonna the one you were referring to at the shelter where youvolunteer? She's beautiful also. I'd love to come check her out also.

Wow, I learned so much about rabbit breeds today...:)

Thanks everyone!! I'll be sure to update with a pic of the new bun once I find her.

Yes Madonna is the one I was referring to. I haven'tinteracted with her much though. There was another brown lopthere before that was very cage aggressive, as in, tried to attack myhand when I went in to clean out their litterbox, but that was adifferent bunny.

Here's another at a rescue, Carmella.

http://www.larabbits.org/bachelorettes.htm

Good luck. If you can find the perfect bunny and save itslife by taking it out of the shelter at the same time, why not,right.

www.bunnybunch.org

go to the second page on the adoption list andlook around. All you have to do is call them and they bring the rabbitthat you like to a pet store in your area on certain days! Bunny Bunchis great and I strongly reommend it! ( I got my rabbit from the bunnybunch 3 days ago):rabbithop

Latest posts

Back