Chippy was a sick little bunnie with Clostridium perfringens

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimD

Reaction score
This morning I noticed that Chippy only ate about half of her supper from the night before.
And when I doled out breakfast, she didn't seem interested at all... not even the oats or sunflower seeds :(.
She's eaten a few pellets, nibbled at some hay and a cube.

She's been drinking a little and peeing. But poops are not normal amount or shape.
(NOTE: Chippy has never pooped normal....not a lot, larger than normal. Prior check-ups have found nothing wrong)

She's was a little lethargic when in her cage, but when I let her out for free time she was running and binkying all over the place for about an hour.
She ate a few pieces of dried papaya when she was out. She'd eat a piece and then run and binky around the room and then come back for another. :)

He stomach isn't hard or bloated....and it's quiet. I don't think she has gas, but I'll pick up some gasdrops tomorrow.....I went to give her some I had on hand, and they had expired. :(
The vet is closed tomorrow so I'll have to start home treatments if she doesn't improve.

If you all could keep her in your thoughts it might help.

Thanks.

Aww, poor Chippy!

Hopefully she was just having an off day today. Could it be the weather?

I'll be thinking of Chippy and sending some "Eat lots of yummy food" vibes!

:hug:!

Thanks Spring.

I decided to feed the buns a little early today....mostly because I wanted to check on Chippy.

It doesn't look like she's eaten any of her supper from last night :(
I had to hold a piece of papaya under her nose to get her to take it..... and then she only nibbled a bit.

The water level is still where I marked it last night on her bottle. She has peed in the last few hours.
I put a bowl with water in her cage....maybe she'll drink from that.

If she pooped, it was only a little.....however, there's not much going in, so there's not much coming out. Not that that's good.

I'll start home treatment for stasis as soon as I get home from work. I'd take today off, but I've been out all week recouping from a minor car accident. My back and neck are still pretty sore....won't make things any easier.

I'm real worried...and a bit scared :(

Is she molting? She may also be upset by the arrival of Buckley. Hopefully she will have snapped out of it by the time you get home.

If not, a little pumpkin and pedialyte may do wonders.

Does it seem to be coming and going? Both gas and teeth will do that. The gas would have gone away after her active time, but reformed. How old is she? Has she had teeth issues before?

And Jim, you've barely typed a word about feeling bad fromyour fender bender -- you barely mentioned the accident!

You rescue a rabbit from certain death and you getwhiplash for your efforts?

That sucks! :hug1

getwellsoonsc.gif

For the both of you...

sas
flowers.gif

Pipp wrote:
Is she molting? She may also be upset by the arrival of Buckley. Hopefully she will have snapped out of it by the time you get home.
I was wondering about Buckley, too. You had mentioned that the rabbits seemed to know he had arrived. Perhaps between him and the warmer weather she's just a bit out of sorts.

Hope she (and you) are feeling better soon.

Mary Ellen

Oh, Jim, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time right now.

I hope Chippy snaps out of it and gets back to normal soon.

I'll be thinking of you and Chippy and praying for the best.

Thankseveryone !

She's not molting or shedding more than normal.

She usually adjusts pretty quickly to changes, but Buckley's presencemaybe upsetting her. He's not neutered and she's not spayed....and he definitely has an "aroma" about him. He's not spraying, but those scent glands are working overtime.
Her normal reaction to things is to become agitated, but she's acting more lethargic and uninterested.

She's about 4 1/2 years old now.

She has only had a couple of "off" days since we've had her and has always snapped out of it by the next day.
This came on over the course of the last day or two and has been getting progressively worse.
She's never had any teeth problems.

She was so active during her free time last night.....and so graceful. Multiple rapid-fire binkies..around the poles and between the cages...complete turns and spins in the air to come down running in the opposite direction....flicking feet out to the side and shaking her head!!
I figured that any gas would be worked out by that.

The buns are in the basement now, so it's not so warm....but it is a bit humid. Maybe that's bothering her. I'll have to puta fan at the top of the stairs and blow some of the AC down there tonight. We're planning on getting one of those free-standing air conditioners as soon as they go on sale.

I was able to get a couple of cc's of pellet slurry and a couple cc's of water into her this morning. I just couldn't leave without doing something. At least I can be at work now and know that she's got a little something in her gut.
I'll step up treatments when I get home....which reminds me that I have to pick up simethicone on the way home.

And I'll recover from my accident....whereas Buckley wouldn't have recovered from his intendedfate. My first thought was; "Oh no! I'm gonna be late if we have to call the police on this!!"
Luckily there was no damage to the cars.

I've been with Chippy for the last6 hours now.

She didn't eat much of her pellets or oats from this morning.
She been munching on hay every now and then.
She ate a bit of her timothy cube.
I think she may have drank some of the water out of the bowl.
She had peed and made one pathetic looking poop when I came home from work.

I let her out for free time and she only wanted to eat the carpet.... so I put her back in her cage.

After I vleaned litter pan and gave every body supper (at which she turned her nose up at), I took her out and gave her some simeticone, some water and some pellet slurry.
She's gotten very good at clenching her mouth shut and not swallowing, but I managed to get most of it in her....and a bit on her, too.
Her front teeth look ok and there does'nt appear to be any irritation or swelling. I couldn't get a good look at her back teeth.
I gave hera few pieces of papaya for being good and she ate them right up.

I let her run for a while and she rewarded me with one perfect poop. Hey, it's a start!!

I just now put her back in her cage. I gave her a tummy massage and sang her a bunny lullaby beforeI tucked all the buns in for the night.

I'm exhausted...

I'm going to skim over the recent posts and then catch a few hours of sleepy-time.
I'm going to get up a little early so I can treat Chippy before I go to work.

g'night all:bed:

'morning ... errr...I mean 'afternoon all!

Didn't get too much sleep. ***yawns....takes big gulp of coffee***
I was up at 5am to check on Chippy.

She peed during the night, but no poops ....unless they're in the drop pan.
Water level is the same on the water bottle.
She didn't eat any of her pellets from last night and turned her nose up at breakfast this morning.

She looked a little better. She looked kind of "rough" the last couple of days.....like her fur wasn't laying right and she held her ears down flat to her body. Today she looked "smoother" and was more uppy-earred. Does that make sense the way I said it?

This morning I gave her; 6 to 7 ccs of water, 5 to 6 ccs of pellet slurry, a dose of simeticone and a tummy massage.
I had to drill out the tip of one of my syringes so the slurry could go through easier.......man is that stuff hard to administer with a syringe.

I hope she's improved more by this evening. MrsD will be calling me shortly with an update on Chippy.
If Chippy's still not right tomorrow morning, she's going to the vet. I can drop her off early in the morning and pick her up later on in the day.

More updates when I got 'em.

Oh no! It doesn't sound that bad but it sounds a little like what was happening to my Bud he was 4 to.

Is the rabbit snezzing? or coughing? You should bring Chippy in to the vet soon though. Bud had something like that he wouldn't eat or drink. He didn't poop or pee. Your rabbit sounds better then Bud was, but warning bells are ring all overabout this! Bud had Pasterala (I don't know how to spell it) and a respritory infection. He went a lethargic and limp, we brought him in to the vet right away. Bud was acting good like your rabbit at first but got worse slowly day by day. The day after the vet trip he died. So this is sort of worring me. It may seem minor, but you should take him in!!

Best of luck Chippy :pray:

-TK

Hi TK,

She isn't showing any signs of Pasteurella, and her lungs sound clear.
I've already got a call in to the vet, and Chippy will be going in tomorrow morning if she doesn't show more improvement.

When I got home I found that she had passed a rather large poop. When I broke it open, I realized that it was a hairball. It had a bit of clear mucous on the trailing end that might have been caused by the blockage.

She looked much better and was munching on some hay. And she had peed.

She hadn't eaten any pellets from breakfast and the water level looked the same. However, I have been syringing both.

She ate a couple of pellets from her supper bowl....as well as a couple of sunflower seeds and the all of the papaya.

She had free time for a while and then I syringed more stuff.
About 7 ccs water, 10 ccs pellet slurry, and a dose of simeticone.
And then she had more run time....of which included several stomps.

I should have mixed some Nutrical into the slurry, but I forgot. I'll do that in the morning.

Sounds good Jim! Sounds like the "hairball" was maybe the problem.

Keep us posted. You're an awesome bun dad, as you know:p.

Come on Chippy, keep eating, and lots.;)

That Papaya will help if it was just a hairball, you know that though, good call on all fronts! Just for other members to see.:D

I'm afraid I have a very sick little bunnie.

I stayed up with Chippy until about 1 am and she seemed to be doing well.

When I got up this morning, she was covered in diarrhea :(. And STINKY!! :(:(
There wasn't any mucous so that's a good sign.
I cleaned her up and dried her the best I could. And then I rushed her to the vet.

She'll be staying at the vets for the day while they administer sub-q and run whatever tests Dr. Frezzo can. Chippy weighs less than when we got her....she's only 4 lbs right now.

I'm going to go get busy and try to take my mind off of things until the vet calls.
Got bunnies to feed, litter pans to clean, Buckley's cage needs to be cleaned....and now Chippy's too.

We're having people over for a BBQ/pool partyand fireworks, but I'm not really into it at the moment.They'll have to entertain themselves today.

I'm very concerned to say the least. Quite frankly, I'm scared that we may lose her.:(

Please keep Chippy in your thoughts. And if you pray...please say something for her.

Jim,

I'm just now seeing this and really worried - please keep us updated.

You and Chippy are in my prayers..

Peg

Thanks Peg.

No updates yet.

I just finished cleaning and disinfecting her cage and pen area.

It's 1pm now and the vet is open until 5pm. Pickups are usually finished later on in the day.
She's in good hands.

Hi Jim, I am so sorry that Chippy is not doing well. I keep coming back to your post to see how she was doing and nowI see that she is not doing well.My 2 have been sick this month but are doing better. The diarrhea part is enough to make you very nervous. I just hate that feelinga person gets when we know they are sick but we are not quite sure what to do for them.

So we do do everything we possibly can but still feel like it is not enough!!! Ugh, I hate that feeling and I am sure you are feeling that now. I am so sorry that the 2 of you are going through this. Just know that my thoughts and prayers are with you Chippy and your family. Hopefully the vet will get her on the road to feeling better so she can get well and come home to her family.

You have had a lot going on the last couple of weeks. Don't forget to take care of yourself too!!! I will check back again later and hopefully you will have posted some good news. Beckie , Trouble and Trixie

Latest posts

Back