Chipped tooth!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle Savage

Reaction score
My rabbit is about 3 and 1/2 months old. I noticed that one of her bottom teeth was chipped at an angle a day or so ago. I thought it would be fine, but read that going to the vet was what to do... but today I looked at it and it looks alot better, it only looks like it is angled a little now. I do not think it is bad but can even that little angle hurt her or mess up her teeth growth? Thank you for your help.

Rabbit teeth continue to grow, and they get worn down buy chewing.

If it's only chipped, I'd just keep an eye on it.
It'll probably be back to normal in a month or so.

Make sure she's got unlimited hay to eat....the silica content of hay helps to naturally wear the teeth down.
I would also give her some other things to chew on too.....like wood blocks (untreated pine), hay cubes, apple tree branches/twigs (pet stores carry these).

If you'd feel better taking her to the vet to check it out, then by all means do so.

Hi, yeah the tooth looks perfect now... but let me tell you what I noticed...the tooth above the chipped tooth started to grow longer because it was not meeting the bottom tooth (the one that was chipped). So, it did not wear down, but, it is not bad. I think it will wear down, as I beieve it already has, it is minor, like a 1/3 a mm difference from the one or ones next to it. Anyway, the tooth that was chipped looks perfect though. I thought about what could of chipped it but there are so many optons... bowl/s, the metal from the water bottle/s, the metal from the cage or play pen or her hay rack...I don't know if there is much I can do about it though, so I guess I will leave it to God. :sigh:

As long as she's not obsessively gnawing on one particular thing, I wouldn't worry about it happening again. It probably was just one of those things. And the other tooth should start wearing down by itself, but keep checking on it, as it would need ti be filed if it doesn't.

If they don't go back true she may just need a quick burr (and electric file) to level them out so they wear normally again. Sometimes when one is out, it is sort of a domino effect and doing that resets it.

I'd second - lots and lots of hay. That the best thing for keeping teeth in tip top condition :)

Latest posts

Back