Chipped Bunny Tooth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed that Mr. Evey was having trouble eating so I looked at his teeth, and his front upper left tooth was broken! It wasn't chipped vertically, but rather slightly diagonally horizontal, if that makes sense. I've tried to take pictures, but they really don't show the damage. I did some research and found that the tooth needed to be removed and later yesterday my dad looked at his tooth and it broke off. So he has a little stub, but he is now eating and drinking normally again. I know it will grow back so I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else's bunny or if you guys think he should still see a vet.

Thanks!!

I would just monitor the teeth as they grow back. Most likely, it will grow back properly. We have rabbits break teeth all the time with no problems. Some things to look for as it regrows are proper occlusion (alignment of the top and bottom teeth so they can wear properly) and keep a check on the gum to make sure there is no sign of infection there. Infection in the gum usually occurs when the tooth is broken below the gum line. It is never a bad idea to have a real doctor take a look....maybe a light hit with a dental burr to even the tooth up a bit. Removing an incisor is a major surgery. Not only would the broken incisor need to be removed...all three opposing incisors should be removed...and if I were going to put the rabbit thru that, I would go ahead and get all six of them out. The roots are quite long and usually difficult to extract. We have extracted teeth as a response to malocclusion and in those buns, it was worth it. But I wouldn't do that unless it is absolutely necessary. It is a complex surgery which requires an extended stay under anesthesia. The rabbit should be intubated for this type of surgeries and quite honestly, there are not many doctors that can pull off an intubation of a rabbit. Extracting those teeth will also require some aggressive husbandry protocols...we plan for at least 72 hours of intensive care post-op. In your situation, I would just closely monitor the occlusion of the teeth as they regrow and take action only if they present a problem.

Randy

Good advice from Randy (as always) :)

I think if youre worried at all, you could see if that vet in Lansing (Mary Seager isher name)will see him (you could call and see how much she charges for the nueter and get them both done at once) ;)Or just get an exam and speak to her about the neuter.

But other than that, just keep an eye on it to make sure its growing and wearing down properly. And, of course, that he's eating properly.

Glad he's ok :biggrin2:

Thanks so much!

Haley, I was thinking the same thing (about neutering and checking the tooth at the same time). Do you think he's ready to be neutered now? I really don't know his age, but I know boys can get altered sooner than girls so he is probably ready. I'm assuming he is around 3 months.

I think as long as his "bits" are descended and he's healthy, he should be fine. The vet should be able to examine him and tell for sure.

I had my foster boy Nigel neutered at around 3 months, and it went fine. You could always schedule a checkup/have her look at the tooth and if she thinks he's ready you could schedule the neuter at a later date (or bring him home and have someone around here do it later if shes pricey).

Latest posts

Back