Chinchillas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boz

Reaction score
Today I held a chinchilla for the first time! omg! I love them! I so would love to get one or a pair (I don't know what's recommend) some time down the line.

So I was wondering, does anyone here have them? If so, any advice? When I get more into actually getting one I'll probably join a forum and do extreme research on them. :p

Oh and one of the Chinchillas I held, his name was Yoda. LOL I thought that name was completely adorable! :D

They can do well in pairs, but I am not sure about what sexes work best. They don't breed too often, but you should still avoid breeding if you don't know what you are doing. They can be hard to sex, so you should get a second opinion on the sex.
They need a cage with many levels to jump onto. Being rodents, they do need to chew a lot and some plastic cages won't hold up for long.
You cannot get them wet. The fur is so dense that they won't dry and can get mold in the fur. Regular dust bathes are all they need.
They do need special care, but not much more than any other exotic pet would need. It is good that you are going to do research on them before you get one.

Thanks!
Yeah I knew they are crazy chewers. I've heard several stories! I got my gerbils so I'm used to using no plastic.

I didn't know about the molding in their fur though!

The bigger the cage the better! I think I may end up building one... We'll see. I don't have to worry about that for quiet a few years yet. :p

I fostered a pair of chinchillas. Definitely get a pair as they get lonely alone. I had a neutered boy and a girl.

Crazy chewers, crazy runners, hilarious creatures. Butterball could easily jump a 3 foot high x-pen. Then he would get loose somewhere in the house. That dude has no fear and made it into the bunny room once.

They are so active that do not like being held or cuddled (most of them I guess).

They love a wheel but especially a run around a chinchilla proofed room.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
They can do well in pairs, but I am not sure about what sexes work best. They don't breed too often, but you should still avoid breeding if you don't know what you are doing. They can be hard to sex, so you should get a second opinion on the sex.
They need a cage with many levels to jump onto. Being rodents, they do need to chew a lot and some plastic cages won't hold up for long.
You cannot get them wet. The fur is so dense that they won't dry and can get mold in the fur. Regular dust bathes are all they need.
They do need special care, but not much more than any other exotic pet would need. It is good that you are going to do research on them before you get one.
had to laugh because i thought of the Gremlins,lol. Your next line should have read that they can not eat after midnight either,lol

I have both buns and chins, and yes, they are a ton of fun. They aren't as demanding (or disapproving) as rabbits, but are still a fair amount of work.

Chinchillas are very rarely happy alone. They live in large groups in the wild, so you'd want at least two. Bonding them isn't as tricky as with rabbits, the females at least are not too fussy, as long as they have company.

Their diets are quite similar to rabbits - hay and pellets. No veggies though, and fruit can be given as a treat, but must be dried.

You have to careful about housing them close to your buns though - rabbits may carry pasteurella, which can be fatal to chins. Separate rooms and play areas are recommended by HRS. They can also be very noisy at night, so you likely would want their house well away from your room.

They are much more destructive than buns, and free-range just isn't a possibility. So they need a proper cage, with mesh no more than 1/2" square (so no NIC). The Ferret Nation is generally regarded as the best. If you build, you can find plenty of plans and ideas online.

They require playtime - at least an hour out at the same time every day, they need a routine. You have to let them run in a chin-proof room. A bathroom is generally the best, as it usually has the least hazards and is easiest to clean up after. Chins poop an incredible amount - they make rabbits look like lightweights!

Like rabbits, many don't much care to be held. Most love a good forehead or chin rub, though. I have one who loves to sit on my lap. They are pretty smart - mine come when they're called and know a few words, like "kiss".

Playtime is great, they love racing around and will run up the wall and do backflips off of it. It's hilarious to watch them. And how can you not love an animal that says hello by winking at you?

Like buns, though, there are many homeless and unwanted chins. When you are ready to take the plunge, please go to your local shelter or rescues. You'll save some lives and no doubt end up being hooked on chins for life yourself!

Thanks for all your help!
I've been reading on sites and bookmarking them to read more later.

I would more then likely adopt a chin from a rescue. There's a Chinchilla rescue in Wisconsin here as well. :D

It would be awesome to have a chinchilla room. A whole room just for chinchillas. How awesome! :p

For a pair, is there ever too much room? Is there a risk of having 3+ chins together (of the same gender)?

Thanks! :D

Latest posts

Back