Chinchilla Dutch Variety

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question. In all of the shows, I have been to in my area I have never seen Chinchilla Dutch. I breed dutch, Specifically Black, Blue, and Tort. I am looking into Chincilla dutch and can't really find out how they are breed. Does anyone know what two varieties you breed or how you produce a chinchilla if that's how you get one? Any input would be great. Thank You!!

You need to bring in a chinchilla dutch if you want to breed them. They're the only dutch variety with the chinchilla gene.

Ok, Thanks! Follow up question @SableSteel . If after that I breed that chinchilla to a black would it give me some blacks and some chinchillas or would I need to do chinchilla to chinchilla?

If you bred chinchilla to black you'd probably get a mix of colors - maybe some gray, maybe some steel. But unless the black had chinchilla in its lines you wouldn't get any chinchilla. If you want more chinchilla you'd be best off breeding it to another chinchilla.

Thank You @SableSteel !! If I may ask you one more question, Is breeding black to chocolate in dutch a thing that is ok and produces both black and chocolate or does it produce non-recognized varieties?

Black to chocolate is usually okay (you might want to be wary if your black has a lot of colors other than black in its lines). You'll get mostly blacks unless the black carries chocolate, then you'll probably get a mix of the two colors.

older post sorry but I know Kevin Hooper out of Ohio did take some Chin and cross them into his blacks and then crossed them back to chins down the road to get more chins with the better body. Also another friend, the Lamberts used Chin dutch and their Chinchilla Mini rex- keeping records of F1's, F2's etc to help build up their Chinchilla Dutch. I only have a pair of Chins right now.

Latest posts

Back