chimp nearly kills woman. *scary*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bo B Bunny wrote:
I hate monkeys
sorry i laughteed out loud at thet....
because we soet of came from monkeys. but travis is a chimpanze. not a monkey. he is classifed as an ape.:biggrin2:
but i know where you are coming from.:cry2

ps. im sorry eilieen for what happened. as some one sad it ois very brave and kind of you to share it to stop things like that happening

irishlops wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
I hate monkeys
because we soet of came from monkeys. but travis is a chimpanze. not a monkey. he is classifed as an ape.:biggrin2:

I don't believe in evolution.

I still don't like apes or monkeys! :biggrin2:

Bo B Bunny wrote:
irishlops wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
I hate monkeys

I don't believe in evolution.

I still don't like apes or monkeys! :biggrin2:
if you cant beat them, join them! lol. no, you have your choices... i still like them,... but not really as pet/:biggrin2:

Any animal (and a lot of humans) can suddenly turn like that.

I wont even own a dog after seeing what they can do to people. Been attacked too many times, and seen too many nasty dog attacks. Usually from pets that have been wonderful for years, then suddenly turn, and get bloodlust.

Primates are amazing animals, I think they need to stay in their own environments though.

I don't see that this owner was any worse than us on here, we say our rabbits are our babies and let them get away with a lot of stuff. And some people grieve as though they lost a child, when they lose a bunner!

A lot of people here have also expressed their opinion that they'd save their rabbits before they'd save their family members, if the house was burning down. Obviously choosing animals before own family members!

P.S wasn't it a man mauled? The article says "he" and "his".

It was a woman; the cops thought it was a male because her face apparantly was not on anymore when they got there.

NZminilops, I know what you mean. All of us here are crazy for our animals, rabbits or otherwise. But, no matter how bad one of our rabbits are, they don't have the capacity to kill anybody (except perhaps the one in irishlops avatar!). It's a whole different level of danger that Travis's owner was not skilled with or prepared for.

It's one thing to let our pets get away with minimal stuff, a whole other thing to treat them as a human. And the potential for danger always has to be considered. I let my cats push me around. If I was the owner of a bobcat (not that I ever would be!), I wouldn't treat it the same way.

And of course! We all grieve very hard when we lose one of our pets. I am sure this woman's heart has been ripped out of her chest. I am just surprised that after 15 years of owning a chimp, and after this attack, she is still claiming they are wonderful pets. I learned my lesson that what I did was not fair. After all these years, I would have hoped she would have learned about normal chimp behavior and realized what keeping him as a pet took from him.

What shocked me more than the attack itself was the owner of the deceased chimp spending more time prattling on about how good he was rather than expressing concern for her 'best friend's well being.

I heard the 911 call on the Adam Carolla show, and it got a chuckle out of me. Not because I find a woman being disfigured by an ape funny, but rather, the bewilderment of the operator as well as the quips Adam threw in.

Does anyone recall the man that was disfigured by his chimp a couple of years ago? Apparently they turned it over to one of the few sanctuaries that takes chimps, and when they went to visit him on his birthday, he flipped out and mutilated the man's nether-regions.

When will people learn?

I think this is a tragic story all round - in the end, all involved suffered!

Eileen, your story was so moving. I think it would help a lot of people considering taking any wild animal as a pet, to know what you went through. And kudos to you for all your doing to help animals now.

Jan

You know, we discuss that a lot of people get mini-horses thinking they are like a dog. They are not like a dog and they THINK they are big horses. If they aren't treated right, they can be dangerous just because they are being themselves.

This is a horrible situation. I heard the 911 call and it was awful. Not the way I wanted to start my morning.

Eileen I appreciate you sharing your story- I could read through your words how hard it was and has been. It breaks my heart when I see ads for monkeys for sale and people keeping them as pets - so many people have absolutely no idea what they are doing. They are not pets. The sale of monkeys (spider, etc.) seems to be becoming more popular and I just can't stand it. How many of those "pets" are getting everything they need? They are just not meant to be in captivity especially not a house!

EileenH wrote:
NZminilops, I know what you mean. All of us here are crazy for our animals, rabbits or otherwise. But, no matter how bad one of our rabbits are, they don't have the capacity to kill anybody (except perhaps the one in irishlops avatar!).
thats true and yes my rabbit is dangerous.....:ph34r2

irishlops wrote:
EileenH wrote:
NZminilops, I know what you mean. All of us here are crazy for our animals, rabbits or otherwise. But, no matter how bad one of our rabbits are, they don't have the capacity to kill anybody (except perhaps the one in irishlops avatar!).
thats true and yes my rabbit is dangerous.....:ph34r2
All 3 of my rabbits have nipped or bitten me at some point. Tobi has bitten hard enough to break the skin, and can be aggressive when she feels threatened, so I approach her with care. However, it is unlikely that she could chew anyone's face off. ;)
I also don't hold their behaviour against them, they're just communicating in the way they know.

omg! i have bonded with caramel, but i dont think well enough....
growls at me so i back off. leave food and water and hay, then back off. she bits, shakes! and then looks at me like she is sorry i bleed to death! lol
eyore.. big soppy bundle of fluff.... but those teeth dont harm me.. its his clawa.... 2 days ago he 14cm slash across my arm.....
but i agrree with you. they cant shout ******* *** at you so you have to learn there behaviours.
ps, caramel is grieving for a passed bonded mate, and 3 of her kits a few weeks ago. so i think i let her off with more than i should....lol

I have to comment on this. Supposedly the owner of the the chimp has given him alcohol and anti-depressants in the past. I feel so sorry for the lady attacked and the poor chimp who was stabbed by his owner with a butcher knife and then shot by police but still managed to drag himself into the house to die in his cage. For God's sake kill him quickly if it had to be done!

The owner knew the dangers of keeping an animal that large. Travis (the chimp) trusted his owner to look out for him, yet he died a horrific death. After all, she was the one who thought it was fine to keep a chimp and treat it like a human child.

Sorry, this whole tragic story just really gets my blood boiling.

when i first heard the report on the radio and the 911 recording i thought it was a joke until i read more and heard more about it later on. i don't mean to be so odd(mean or coldhearted), but i found it rather entertaining that there are actually people in the world that are that stupid and stubborn. i mean i've heard of people keeping their dogs even if they attack and bit people(or their other livestock) We, as in my parents and I, don't tolerate it. my dog is the most laid back thing you could find(except around other dogs) and she runs from my rabbits. She's 77 puonds of husky/lab mixed she's got hunting instincts cause she's killed other dogs that came at her or me.
But this chimp. it amused me, it really did. stubborn stupid people. We can't get away from them

It's hard to say one way or the other why the chimp freaked out, but if it did have Lyme Disease, there are multiple "co-infections" that a Deer Tick can infect you with along with Lyme Disease. One known as Bartonella aka Cat Scratch Fever can cause severe agression, mood swings, and bursts of rage in humans who are treating it. And for some people even Lyme Disease can cause aggression or severe mood swings and anger totally uncontrollably.

I tested positive for both Bartonella and Lyme Disease 2 years ago. The Bartonella caused severe mood swings for me and (although I have never had a temper ever in my life) I had a bad temper on the days of treatment for it and my temper would be provoked at the slightest thing. Of course I never got violent or anything :p :). But in a confused animal who cannot communicate what they're feeling I bet this would be extremely scary to feel!!!

Latest posts

Back