Children: how old before they can safely handle a rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Curious because of two reasons. A friend of mine has a daughter who is just a bit older than 2 years old, when my friend found out about Dortmund she invited him over for a play date. Not sure about this one.

the other case is a bit easier. I’m driving to Florida over X-mas. My niece and nephew have seen pictures of Dortmund and want to play with him. They are 13 and 14. I’m sure they are old enough, but wanted to ask anyway.

I normally say for owning a rabbit 13 and older. But for handling, I think a 2-year-old is too young. I think it would be best if she wants to play with the rabbit for someone to put the child on the floor and place the bunny in her lap (if it is good at being handled and won't scratch), or in front of her to pet. But either way, it needs to be supervised because young children like to grab and pull things. Your niece and nephew I would say definitely old enough AFTER you teach them how to properly hold a rabbit.

meh. We get along well enough. He doesn't like being carried so I don't carry him. When I want to move him, he goes into his litter box and I carry the litter box where he needs to go. Sure, he's spoiled but I like him that way.

And emergencies! He needs to be used to it, that way when you have to grab him up quickly he won't be more stressed by it then he already has to be.

When I let kids interact with my bunnies, depending on the age. I will often hold my bunnies and let them gently pet them while keeping a watch over them and also making sure my bunnies are calm.

The ones that are older around 10 years, can hold my bunnies but I still keep an eye on them and if they are hold wrong. I correct the posture and if it getting too much I take the bunny away.

Often feeding them can be a fun thing for kids and doing tricks with the bunny [emoji4]

Have never had 2 years old interact with my bunnies but between 3-10 years old kids have been interacting with them. My bunnies have no problem interacting with people except one, he still only let family interact with him.

But you need to teach your bunny to be handled. It will be a lot safer for Dortmund. So you lower the risk of him or other getting hurt but also making it less stressful [emoji5]

Yes I totally agree about holding your bunny for the child..otherwise they might poke him, or try to pick him up or just scare him..it’s always best to supervise any animal around young children for those reasons..in my opinion..because you would never want anyone to ever get hurt

I have a lot of nieces and nephews that want to play with their “bunny cousin” as they like to call him. Every rabbit is different but my mini rex loves people and he’s only 5 mos. However, I always establish ground rules and supervise especially at the beginning to make sure they’re being followed. There’s this image society has of bunnies as child-friendly, low maintenance, kinda like stuffed animals and that’s what kids think too initially. My first rule is NEVER feed the bunny anything. I explain how sensitive their stomachs are and how they can die from certain foods. That usually scares them. I keep romaine and bell pepper handy for the kids to feed him and they love that. My second rule is everyone must either be sitting on the floor with the bunny or on the couch while the bunny is on the floor. That way, I’m not afraid a jumpy kid might trip on him and a. hurt the bunny b. hurt him/herself. My rabbit tends to zoom around when people are playing with him. I also explain that bunnies don’t like loud noises so no yelling or screaming.

When I feel like the bun needs a break I make something up like he’s sleeping and they don’t ask questions. It’s worked for me and my nieces and nephews at this point know all about GI stasis and rabbits as prey animals etc. It’s just a matter of explaining and teaching. A child too young to understand rules is too young for a bunny sadly :(

Latest posts

Back