CHICKEN!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizm

Reaction score
I found him in a parking lot, scooped him up,and took him home. I figured I'd give him to a feed store tomorrow,except for the fact that he is AFFECTIONATE! Doh!!!! I swear, it jumpeddown from his cage (Narnia's old rabbit cage) fluttered to my leg,*hopped*to my knee, and flapped his way up to my shoulder, which was astepping stone to my head. Poor thing got tangled in my hair, so Ireturned him to the cage. In a few minutes, it was screeching, so Iopened the door *flutterflutter* and it was on my shoulder again.*sigh* I cupped my hands around it, on my lap, and rubbed it's neck.Eyes begin to close...and it's asleep. ....I just can't allow it beeaten. Uh...does anyone have any advice or room? It gets along w/ myrabbits, but I do not have the room to keep him!

If he 's that tame maybe he is somechildsbeloved pet? I live in the city so I dont know muchabout farmpets, do people have " pet" chickens?Maybe put up alost and found sign or something ? Maybe that sounds silly, i dontknow, i have no clue about chickens..I like them thoughasI do all farm annimals, if i had a house id take him. Couldhe belong to any neibours? He sounds so cute.

What a sweetie. I wish I lived closer I would take him in a second.

I would put an add in te lost and found and maybe leave word atthe local shelter that you have him. If he's that sweet andaffectionate he has definitely been handled and loved by someone.

One of my roos is the same way. He loves to be cuddled and goes to sleep in our laps. Good luck with him.

Tina

If he 's that tame maybe he is somechildsbeloved pet? I live in the city so I dont know muchabout farmpets, do people have " pet" chickens?Maybe put up alost and found sign or something ? Maybe that sounds silly, i dontknow, i have no clue about chickens..I like them thoughasI do all farm annimals, if i had a house id take him. Couldhe belong to any neibours? He sounds so cute.

He is a cutie--I will pursue looking for the owner..

but as for his age...
is it a baby or an adult?

it as its feathers but is not an adult yet. I bought him someorganic oats and he's eating them up. One man in the grocery storesuggested it might be a branny chicken..which I'm going to google :)

What a sweetie. I wish I lived closer I would take him in a second.

I would put an add in te lost and found andmaybe leave word at the local shelter that you have him. If he's thatsweet and affectionate he has definitely been handled and loved bysomeone.

One of my roos is the same way. He loves to be cuddled and goes to sleep in our laps. Good luck with him.

Tina
That's encouraging. I'm *almost* thinking ofkeeping him in the secondrabbit cage and taking him for walksfor exersize, but I know I need to research this a bit more first. :) Iwill try to see if he has an owner, but so far, they seem to be keptfor slaughter or their eggs, and then slaughter when they run out ofeggs. :(

I DID hear some chicken sounds coming fromacross a creek, and the first thought that struck me was this chickenescaped from a chicken farm :/ I'll post a found chicken add andperhaps some flyers in the area in case I'm wrong, but it sounded likea lot of birds in the distance, which makes me doubt he is a pet.

Jenniblu wrote:
This site has been really helpful fo rme as a new chicken owner:

http://p072.ezboard.com/bbackyardchickens

They are really friendly and are like the chicken version of rabbits-only.

Sounds like a real sweetie. I hope he is someone's beloved pet that got lostand not an Easter dump-off.
Oh and thank you VERY much for this link! It's extremely helpful!

If he's a banty he won't get real big, they stay pretty small. I hope you could keep him.

I never realized how much fun and personality chickens have until I got mine. I love them dearly.

Please keep us posted.

Tina

Chickens can become very affectionate and learnand come to their names. I wouldn't recommend keeping the chicken in acage inside your house, they need room to flutter about and needother chickens as company, they're flock animals and i'd recommendbuying her real chicken food and put her waterers and feeders up onblocks so that she doesn't have to crane her neck down and then back upinto the air to swallow the water.

If you have any more questions ask away!

Ellie

If he's a banty he won't get real big, they stay pretty small. I hope you could keep him.

I never realized how much fun and personality chickens have until I got mine. I love them dearly.

Please keep us posted.

Tina

I think he might be a she, because its head crest is very small andthere are no red things under its beak (is that how you can tell?) FromGoogle pictures, I can't tell if this little peeper is a banty chickenor not because its feathers haven't fully filled out yet. I did noticesomething interesting about its feet. It has three longtoesfacing forwards, andeach foot has oneshortertoe (not even half the size of its othertoes)facing backwards.
Chickens can become very affectionate and learn and come totheir names. I wouldn't recommend keeping the chicken in a cage insideyour house, they need room to flutter about and need otherchickens as company, they're flock animals and i'd recommend buying herreal chicken food and put her waterers and feeders up on blocks so thatshe doesn't have to crane her neck down and then back up into the airto swallow the water.

If you have any more questions ask away!

Ellie
Ah, thank you for the food suggestions--I bought the oats so itwouldn't be hungry through the night (and the rabbits like them too:D ) I live in a rented duplex, so if the landlord wouldallow me to keep it in the back yard, that might be okay...but for now,I'm not the best home for it. If you know anyone with a farm who wouldlike it as a pet, please let me know? Few farmers are vegetarians ;)Theup-side of living in a cage is it will not be killed (and ittattles/chirps on the cat, when it gets too close.)

He sounds like a she lol. She's probabyyounger then if her feathers haven't filled out. Mine are 7 weeks andare still not filled out.

The feet are normal lol. It took me a back too even though I knew it was ok.

Here is an awesome website. It has almost all the chickenbreeds. It has a section on bantams which you think yours is. You cancompare pictures to what you have and it may give you a better idea ofwhat she is.

I hope this helps. I wish I could take her for you.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html

Tina

I used to have chickens growing up!Wish I could take him...is it a rooster? I don't think feedstores slaughter their chickens. I think they might be keptmore commonly for their eggs. But that was just what we didwith our chicks. My last chicken was named Coco.She eventually died. They don't live long, Coco was with usfor 4 years (If I remember correctly). She laid the mostbeautiful eggs!! As she got older and older her eggs gotsmaller and smaller :(.

Sidenote, we had the MEANEST rooster! He would stalk me andtry to get his spurs up in my neck. (Or in anyone's neck thatwas close). **** thing even tried to kill his babiestoo!

I am thinking this chick might have been someone's pet too. If it is a cuddler, highly likely a pet :)

I know a woman up the road that has apet chicken. She is the absolute sweetest little thing. Follows herlike a puppy. She keeps her in a cage in the house at night and anexcerise pen in the yard while she's at work.

Kricket that was the cutest little story. Coco sounds like shewas a doll. Nasty mean rooster. I have two young ones like that now.Needless to say the are being rehomed somewhere else.

Tina

Can I tell you, (I truly, truly hope thisdoesn't upset anyone) that mean rooster disappeared. We neverknew what happened to him. My uncle later confessed he leftthat roo OUT of the coop (ON PURPOSE) one night. As my unclesaid "That 'rastard' tried to kill his babies! I let thecoyotes take care of him!"

That kinda made me sad - but it was so unlike my uncle to show anyinterest in ANYTHING. I never knew he even cared about ourfarm animals!! Meh...but who can resist an adorable littlechick?

It's sad but sometimes them roosters arejust as mean as the day is long. My two are in danger of becoming mybro-in-laws dinner if they don't settle down. They are constantlypecking and jumping and trying to spur us already. They are only 7weeks old which is a scary thought.

I think it's sweet that your uncle cared even though he never let it show.

Tina

I know a woman up the road that has a petchicken. She is the absolute sweetest little thing. Follows her like apuppy. She keeps her in a cage in the house at night and an excerisepen in the yard while she's at work.

Kricket that was the cutest little story. Coco sounds like shewas a doll. Nasty mean rooster. I have two young ones like that now.Needless to say the are being rehomed somewhere else.

Tina
This is what I may end up doing! You were right about her breed. I wentto a feed store for chicken food and their banty chickens looked justlike mine :)
I'm hoping my landlord will let her stay--I could put up some chickenwire in the back yard for a little running area. Anyway, she's eatingand "peeping" up a storm, lol.

Actually Chickens being a flocking animal istrue BUT they dont need other chickens they are just as happy to besomones pet and only chicken , ( some dont know they are chickens ) okwe wont go there , its a long story involving a chicken and a turkey ok. I hope you can keep it too , I enjoy chickens as pets tho theroosters can litterally be a pain in some body part or another , IEfeet little kids butts , necks where ever they can jump and get too , Ihad a silver bantam rooster that was a miserable jerk , he used tochase the kid around the yard poor kid would scream so loud she couldbe heard over a wood splitter lol . the brat would hang out behindsomething and wait for her to not be paying attention , then jump outat her , of course being 7 she would run like the wind with him hot onher heels , More times i had to save the kid from a 2 pound rooster lol.

You may want to give her a stuffed animalfor comfort. She'll probably snuggle up to it and sleep. I so hope youget to keep her.

Tina
Good idea!--Perhaps a few paper towelsbunched together would have the same effect, because she's a pooper ;)

I'll ask the landlord if I can have a pet bird, and leave out the part about her being a chicken;D
Actually Chickens being a flocking animal is true BUT they dont needother chickens they are just as happy to be somones pet and onlychicken , ( some dont know they are chickens ) ok we wont go there ,its a long story involving a chicken and a turkey ok . I hope you cankeep it too , I enjoy chickens as pets tho the roosters can litterallybe a pain in some body part or another , IE feet little kids butts ,necks where ever they can jump and get too , I had a silver bantamrooster that was a miserable jerk , he used to chase the kid around theyard poor kid would scream so loud she could be heard over a woodsplitter lol . the brat would hang out behind something and wait forher to not be paying attention , then jump out at her , of course being7 she would run like the wind with him hot on her heels , More times ihad to save the kid from a 2 pound rooster lol.
Nono! LOL, I don't want a turkey! 1 cat, 2 rabbits and achicken are enough "illegal" animals lol! :) I never knew roosters wereso aggressive. *is glad she's a female*

Latest posts

Back