Chewing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy699

Reaction score
My rabbits are 9 weeks and chewing carpets and cardboard. They have food, hay and toys. Any advice?

Keep them off of carpet until they are older and litter trained. Carpet fibers can cause a gut blockage. I wouldn't let them eat the cardboard either. Once they are older and are eating lots of hay, then cardboard isn't an issue. But they are quite young, so I'd be careful about that.

Keep them off of carpet until they are older and litter trained. Carpet fibers can cause a gut blockage. I wouldn't let them eat the cardboard either. Once they are older and are eating lots of hay, then cardboard isn't an issue. But they are quite young, so I'd be careful about that.

Our whole house is carpet, so can’t keep them away from it, they are monitored when out, and we say no when they do it, but one of them is very scared of everything and very angry so lunges a lot.

You don't want carpet chewing to become a habit. Keep them off by establishing an area for them. Use an ex-pen and cover the carpet inside the ex-pen. You can use a heavy duty plastic tarp and cover it with a cheap fleece blanket or sheet. That should be what they run around on until they are both potty trained and are not chewing carpet.

Also, bear in mind that it is not a good idea to give young bunnies too much space too soon. This will make things all the more difficult as they grow. They should be kept in a limited area in which they have access to their cage (and litter box). Again, an ex-pen would be ideal for this.

Latest posts

Back