Chewing through Cord Protectors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
I got Theo an Outdoor Heating Mat for Christmas and I bought a cord protector so he wouldn’t chew the cord. I made sure that the protector was very nice and snug, and that most of the cord was out of the playpen so he couldn’t get to it (he could only get to about 2 inches of the cord protector). I put the heating mat in his pen a couple of days ago but didn’t turn it on just to make sure he wouldn’t chew the cord protector. I don’t know what his issue is, but he chewed through the protector! I removed the mat as soon as I noticed, and thankfully he didn’t get to the actual cord, but it was so close! Please tell me yall have some ideas for stronger cord protectors? I attached a picture of where he chewed it and how it was set up in his pen.

Attachments

• 1611285469782.png
    1611285469782.png
    186 KB · Views: 8
  • 1611285474451.png
    1611285474451.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 8
Doesn't the cord come with a built in metal cord protector?

If not, easiest would be to run that part of the pad on the outside of the pen, and maybe block him sticking his nose through with a board or something secured to the pen panel. Or you could cover the cord with a short piece of plastic plumbing pipe. Big enough for the end plug to fit through, or cut it length wise so it's like a c shell cover over the top of the cord. Though you would have to secure it down somehow with zip ties or something.

Rabbits really test our ingenuity on ways to outwit them, don't they :p

I like to view "cord protectors" as just a first line of defense. Many of them can be chewed through...eventually. It's necessary to keep an eye on them and replace as necessary. It has done its job if it kept bunny away form the actual cord.

That said, with your setup, it does look like it could be pushed more to the edge of the pen as @JBun explained, and blocked further.

None of the usual cord protection methods have worked for us. At best, they simply delayed the inevitable. The final straw came when our chewing-est bun, a doe named Blue, serious developed GI problems. After we brought her home from the vet we discovered serious damage to a cord protected for years with the recommended fix of plastic tubing. Note that we did not split the tubing down one side; if we would have, it couldn't have lasted as long as it did.

The cord supplied an essential floor lamp; we need it all the time. While wracking my brain about how to fix it, my eye fell upon a damaged "snake" used to clear plumbing clogs. It is very flexible and indestructible. Permanent fix! Armor_5218.jpgBlue_Chew_5173.jpg

Thanks for all these ideas! I figured it wouldn't be a permanent option, but I didn't think he would have chewed it the first day.
@JBun, the heating pad did come with a wire coil cord protector, but Theo would have been able to get to the cord so I removed it.
@Blue eyes, the picture I sent was a recreation of the original setup because I didn't have my phone with me when I first realized he had chewed it. Originally I had the mat pushed to the very edge of the playpen, but I understand what you were saying.
@Orrin, that is very scary! Theo didn't eat any of the protector, thank goodness! Glad you found a fix!

The cord protectors I got are a thin one and a thick one so I think I'm going to double up on the protector. If he still chews it, I'm going to move that part of the mat under his pen. I'm going to Lowes later today to search the store for anything else that might work. I might get some PVC pipe as JBun suggested.

Latest posts

Back