Chewing her feet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of time my rabbit would gently chew his paws. Other times he would chew more when his nails were to long or fur got in his way. Once nails trimmed about one or two days later much less feet chewing.

I did some nail trimming, too. It's a very delicate job because one shouldn't cut too deep. There's a way where I learnt from HowCast of doing the soft press twice before actual cut on the nail. This would give the bunny to retreat if one were about to cut too deep.

only trim rabbits nail for 1-2mm ,or will be very painful and bleeding.
never trim pink/red areas.

Just a quick update of my bunny. I haven't managed to get appointment with the local vet but came across some advice that this should be fungus infection instead of mites and mites would spread all over body. But what happened to maya was just on her feet.

I was able to get this for at about USD 10 to apply on Maya's feet but she would hop frantically whenever I tried to spray on her infected area. So I tried to apply via cotton pads which she seemed to accept better.

20190817_200950.jpg

On the other hand, I think I may have mistaken Maya as a doe instead of a buck. I was checking its bottom and I thought there was infection at her bottom then I found below... testicles?!
20190817_200907.jpg

Hi All, Some updates. A she is actually a he! I have brought bouth to the vet and it has been confirmed Maya is a buck so I've renamed him Snowball. Doc said he was infected with mange, a sort of mite, so both have been given jab, twice in 2 weeks. Hoping to eliminate all the mites. I also bought a anti mites.mange spray and shall spray them both like once in 2 weeks.

Just an fyi. Some sprays can be toxic to rabbits, so it's important to make sure it's a rabbit safe anti parasitic. Basically only ivermectin and selamectin(Revolution) are rabbit safe mite treatments. The spray is also not really necessary if they are being given the correct antiparasitic by the vet and at the right treatment interval and frequency, as that should take care of the mite issue, provided something in their environment wasn't the source and reinfects them.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Mange/Sarcoptes.htm

20190903_170427.jpg

This is what I got for my bunny, as recommended in the pet store.

20190827_080906.jpg

Took this picture last week. As you can see the fur has grown back on Snowball's front paws, with the ND Pepsi's left foot on top of Snowball. Doc said Snowball was much older than I've been told by the breeder and he was a cross breed of Havana and others, probably 6 to 8 months older by now.

Doc said it would be best to separate both Snowball and Pepsi in the enclosure due to territorial claim and fight but I have limited space in my apartment...

Attachments

• 20190903_170427.jpg
    20190903_170427.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back