Chewing habbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eiramenna

Reaction score
My family and I have two new Holland lop/Rex mix bunnies coming up on 3months old. We have a faux leather sofa that they are obsessed with chewing on. They act like crackheads and are ruining our couch. Any recommendations?

You should bunny proof your house... You can't stop the bunnies chewing because it's a habit of theirs, maybe give them some toys that they can chew on. Like toys made of wood that is safe for rabbits, apple sticks perhaps .

Section of the couch and provide the bunnies with a lot of chewing toys. Chewing is a natural behavior and sometimes we need to close off things to keep them safe. You can later take away the section of the couch and see if they still will have taste for it when they are adults.

My family and I have two new Holland lop/Rex mix bunnies coming up on 3months old. We have a faux leather sofa that they are obsessed with chewing on. They act like crackheads and are ruining our couch. Any recommendations?

Buy lots of chew toys, I would recommend willow, seagrass and timothy toys rabbits love chewing on them and it should keep them entertained. If you have an x-pen or c and c grids block of the sofa so they don't have access to it. If you'd like a website to find toys I'd recommend bunnies that lunch, they have monthly subscription boxes with toys, treats etc, but if you don't want a subscription box they also have one off purchase boxes. My bun's personal favourite was the willow woodland box :)

Here's the link for bunnies that lunch- Bunnies That Lunch - Shop/Listing

At 3 months of age, they may soon have their hormones kick in. Hormonal rabbits can be excessive with their destructive chewing. It may calm down considerably after they are fixed. In the meantime, do what others have suggested and block access. You don't want them getting into naughty habits.

On a separate note, please be aware that with that onset of hormones, the two may begin to get aggressive, grunt, growl, or spray urine. They may turn on each other as well, as difficult as that may be to imagine. Hormones affect each rabbit to different levels, so keep an eye out. If they do begin to turn on each other, they will need to be separated until they are both fixed.

Buy lots of chew toys, I would recommend willow, seagrass and timothy toys rabbits love chewing on them and it should keep them entertained. If you have an x-pen or c and c grids block of the sofa so they don't have access to it. If you'd like a website to find toys I'd recommend bunnies that lunch, they have monthly subscription boxes with toys, treats etc, but if you don't want a subscription box they also have one off purchase boxes. My bun's personal favourite was the willow woodland box :)

Here's the link for bunnies that lunch- Bunnies That Lunch - Shop/Listing
Thank you for the advice we’ve talked about chew toys but weren’t sure where to start

At 3 months of age, they may soon have their hormones kick in. Hormonal rabbits can be excessive with their destructive chewing. It may calm down considerably after they are fixed. In the meantime, do what others have suggested and block access. You don't want them getting into naughty habits.

On a separate note, please be aware that with that onset of hormones, the two may begin to get aggressive, grunt, growl, or spray urine. They may turn on each other as well, as difficult as that may be to imagine. Hormones affect each rabbit to different levels, so keep an eye out. If they do begin to turn on each other, they will need to be separated until they are both fixed.
We don’t really want to fix them, mostly because we picture ourselves as pets to someone else and being like “CUT OUT THEIR GENITALIA MUAHAHAHAA” and it makes us feel guilty lol. Growing up we never neutered our cats or dogs. One of our cats would spray. Horrible. But we’re hoping for the best with our buns they’re brothers so I hope their hormones don’t put them agains each other. But I’ve also heard that once they settle and get older they calm down a bit? Also what about their nails? Do people trim bunnies nails? Ours are getting quite long.

Yes, trimming nails is something that should be done.

I hope the brothers will bond, but males that are kept intact don't often get along. It would be rare.

We don’t really want to fix them, mostly because we picture ourselves as pets to someone else and being like “CUT OUT THEIR GENITALIA MUAHAHAHAA” and it makes us feel guilty lol. Growing up we never neutered our cats or dogs. One of our cats would spray. Horrible. But we’re hoping for the best with our buns they’re brothers so I hope their hormones don’t put them agains each other. But I’ve also heard that once they settle and get older they calm down a bit? Also what about their nails? Do people trim bunnies nails? Ours are getting quite long.

Rabbits nails grow and they should be trimmed, you can use a cat nail trimmer, I'll leave a video below on how to trim them.

As for the neutering I completely understand you feel bad because I felt so horrible when we got our buns spayed/neutered. Neutering has many health benefits as well as it can prevent any unwanted health problems such as cancer (there is more information on the video below).

Spaying/neutering your rabbit-

Shelter advice on neutering rabbits-
https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/animal-care/rabbit-care/
Trimming nails-

Hope these help! <3

You really should have them neutered ASAP. They VERY often end up fighting if not neutered and it leads to horrible injuries.

Latest posts

Back