Chewing and water thoughts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
LB joined the family a bit over 2 weeks ago. Quite a few questions questions answered here, thank you all.

Some more questions.

I've read a few posts recently about drinking. She doesn't care for Jack Daniels 😂 . LB doesn't drink a lot, maybe 6-8 ounces (200 ml) per day. This concerns me because before she joined us I've read multiple web sites saying a bunny will drink as much as a large dog.

Chewing: I have apple sticks, seagrass sticks, timothy made things, cardboard things, & toilet paper rolls. I also have some kind of large log that was in the bird section of the store. LB is using some of these things, but it seems pretty minimal. Any ideas on how to entice her to use these more?

An LB update with some pics will be poster shortly in the blog section.

Imho, the only problem there is that your bunny doesn't read the internet to know what it "should" do.;)

It really depends on their diet how much they drink, mine drink close to nothing all summer long while being fed fresh forage. 200ml sounds pretty ok to me.

Why do you want to entice her to gnaw more (that's not what keeps their teeth in shape)? Anyway, fresh branches from apple trees, ash, forsithia, willow etc. are great to keep them occupied and from gnawing other stuff. Introduce slowly, like all new stuff.

I've found that water consumption can vary per rabbit and per diet. Some rabbits just drink more. And, of course, the more hay they eat, the more they will drink (unless they get lots of moisture from their greens that day).

My current bun seems to barely drink for a couple days/nights -- maybe a quarter of his 20 oz bowl per day. Then he'll drink all 20 oz overnight one night. It just seems consistently inconsistent!

As for chewing... some play with such toys, some don't. As @Preitler mentioned, it isn't important for their teeth. The chewing of hay is what is important for keeping those teeth worn down.

What's the 'large log from the bird section"? Some huts and logs are sold that claim to fine for chewing but are potentially harmful. There should be an ingredients list with it.

Looking forward to seeing some pics. Feel free to post them here as well! (I confess I'm not much of a blog follower.)

What's the 'large log from the bird section"?
I think it's just a log. The packaging is long gone. I don't go to pet stores too often and have to take Bubba the dog there next week. I'll check the label then. Here a pic below.
It just seems consistently inconsistent!
Rabbits are silly aye?

Thank you as always Blue Eyes.

I found it online. I went to the manufacturers web site and no info available. Various selling sites said it was either yucca or agave. I read agave is bad for bunnies. The log immediately went into the burn pile.

iu

Latest posts

Back