chewing and sore under chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoogysprouts

Reaction score
Hi there. My Boon is maybe 2.5 years old. He's a Rex

about 9 months ago I noticed that he had been chewing under his chin, kind of where his dewalp starts, and had a HUGE sore. I took him to the vet and they gave me antibiotics and a "cone" for him. It cleared up and has been fine since (I check regularly) yesterday I noticed it's back! we went away for a week, so I'm guessing thats when he did it. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any advice on how I can help heal and prevent it? He's back in thee cone of shame and I'm cleaning it twice a day. I tried wrapping his neck with gauze, but of course he ripped it all off :rollseyes

any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!!

Do you think the sore is caused by his chewing that area or that he is chewing that area because something there is bothering him? I guess the question is which one came first, the sore or the chewing?

I have not had any experience with self-mutilation, but I did find some information here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Mutilation/Selfmutilation.htm

I hope Boon's problem clears up very soon and never returns.

Hah! Go figure that I'd have a self-mutilating pet :sigh:

I don't know if I can say that's his problem, because this is the only spot he does it in. I kind of have a feeling he may have stated out of boredom since we weren't home for awhile. I will tho stock up on toys and timothy hay to keep him entertained. Next month we're leaving for a week again and I'm afraid he may start again. Our person who comes round to feed him is afraid to handle him.

I don't know if the bitting or the wound came first. I think it may have started out of a minor irritation and he just kept bitting and bitting. Or maybe just boredom. I wish I could talk to him and figure is out :(

If you are open to asking an animal communicator to talk with Boon, I am good friends with one. Yeah, I didn't believe in them either, until she talked with my rabbits and told me things she couldn't have known. And, she has done the same for friends of mine. Her web site is:

http://janielandes.com/

Boon may have abandonment issues. :(

I'd be ok with it, but I don't know how I feel about a "communicator" that never even meets the animal. Plus if I had $35 to spend I'd take him to the vet in case he may need antibiotics. Thank you so much for your input tho, it really helps me to feel less alone, I don't know any other bun owners in real life.

I find it so funny that he may have a self mutilation habit and abandonment issues. I myself have a impulse control disorder that causes me to pick my skin. I also have separation anxiety. I hope I didn't some how pass these problems on to him :(

I've been spoiling the heck out of him, and as long as he doesn't wiggle out of his cone i think(hope) he should heal up

Latest posts

Back