Chew toy ideas please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie94

Reaction score
So I was really gutted to find out that my rabbits favourite chew toy is actually made from unsuitable materials that are in fact potentially hazardous. I’ve never had an issue with it but after what I’ve read it doesn’t feel right to continue to give it to them. I need some other safe ideas for chew toys please :(

Those two things and also timothy hay mats. Cardboard is good, I could be wrong but I think you need to make sure they aren’t actually eating a ton of it but they can eat some of it and obviously chew it. Also, there are wood chew toys and apple sticks meant for rabbits (just make sure they aren’t treated with anything but if it’s meant for rabbits then it should be fine). This is a good website for easy ways to make your own: 5 DIY Easy Rabbit Chew Toys To Make (A Step-by-Step Guide)

My favourite store to get my bunny toys is Chews! Avoid their coloured porducts and whatever says corn - and some of the loofah products (i have no idea why people still sell these) but if it’s brown or green, it’s pretty good! All my toys are from there and my buns love it!

The loofah toys are not rabbit safe?
Most pet stores sell products with loofah and corn but will often call it a loofah toy in the title and you’d have to check the ingredients - which often isn’t listed. Or they’re coloured with a ‘pet safe dye’ or ‘paint’ but they don’t really say what those are, so I just think it’s best to avoid

Compressed timothy hay cubes (the kind without any added ingredients) make great chew toys.
My bunnies go crazy for these!

Also willow sticks. I buy a pack and offer a few to them. They sniff them all and then pick which one they want that day by pulling it out of my hand. Super cute.

They don’t really show a lot of interest in other things I have bought them, they get bored.

Thanks so much everyone I’m going to try some of these out and hopefully find one they enjoy just as much. I have a feeling the hay cubes might go down well I’ve never tried them before.

So I was really gutted to find out that my rabbits' favorite chew toy is actually made from unsuitable materials that are in fact potentially hazardous. I’ve never had an issue with it but after what I’ve read it doesn’t feel right to continue to give it to them. I need some other safe ideas for chew toys please :(
If you have pine trees near you those are a great treat for rabbits. My rabbit loves them. You have to clean them and I think that you back them for a small amount of time. I think that you can find information on preparing them before you give them to your rabbit. If you do not want to do that a great place to get natural treats and toys for your rabbit is Rabbit Products.

Latest posts

Back