Chew Toy Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbyBear

Reaction score
I have a3-month-oldHolland Lop. We have everything he needs in his cage, with only one problem. He isn't at allinterested in the triangular chewing wood we got for him to grind his teeth down on as they grow. He's so desperate from the lack of his own chewing that he began chewing on my finger today til I ended up bleeding! The example of what we have is below:

[align=center]
d4933.jpg
[/align]

I know it's not his fault, but I need advice on what chew toys to buy. I don't wanna waste the cash on getting another toy he won't be interested in. He needs something soon, so if anybody has advice on what is most popular with Holland Lops please tell me and provide a link. Any help would be appreciated. :(

Chew toys don't really do anything to help with teeth. They might do a bit for the front teeth, but not for the back molars.
Hay is what really wears down the teeth. Timothy or other grass hays is best. It should be avaliable all the time so the rabbit can eat when he wants to. Hay not only wears down the teeth, it also give them something to eat that is low in calories, helps keep the gut moving and provides lots of fibre. Considering you can get a bale for less than $10, it is also cheap.

My rabbits aren't big fans of wood chew toys. I have a hanging one that I have had for 4.5 years and it has barely been touched even though it has been offered to almost all my rabbits at some point. They mostly ignore it or just push it out of the way. I got a puzzle wood toy and it was just pulled apart and left.

My rabbits love grass mats and cardboard tubes. Even a paper bag stuffed with hay is a hit. Mostly they enjoy things they can chew, dig, eat or throw around. They also seem to prefer the stuff that doesn't cost money to the store bought toys.

I would give him lots of hay and find some toys he likes.

Sometimes it is hard to pick toys for rabbits considering all are different. It's pretty much trial and error.

You can also buy small balls and other toys marketed for dogs and cats. Just be careful that there are no small parts or toxic materials in any of the toys.

Find toys around your home. Some of your rabbit's favorite toys might not really be toys at all. Try things such as untreated straw baskets, canning jar rings and cardboard boxes with the ends cut off. Phone books and magazines are also enjoyed by many rabbits. Be sure the magazine is printed with a soy based ink. Most magazines today are.

Cat balls--especially wire ones or ones made of rubber--are favorite bunny toys. Stay away from the balls that are made of thin, latticed plastic, though--these are too easily chewed through by rabbits.

Bird toys, particularly mobiles made of wood, are fun for bunnies. Hang them from the ceiling of your bunny's cage for him/her to bat or leave them on the floor for your rabbit to drag. Most rabbits enjoy chewing the wood.

Nylabones are made of flavored potato starch and make a tasty chew toy. You can get Nylabones in vegetable and fruit flavors. Although they're marketed for dogs, many bunnies love these fake bones.

Toys from a Toy Store
You can get many good, low-priced toys for your rabbit at a regular toy store (or in a department store that sells toys, for that matter).

Large rubber or plastic balls make good push toys. My rabbit loves to push his ball around with his nose. Avoid Nerf balls, though. Some rabbits will chew them and might wind up digesting some of the foam.

Baby rattles can be fun--many rabbits like to pick them up and seem to enjoy the rattling noises they make. Avoid soft rattles--rabbits might chew through the cloth and eat the foam stuffing.

Baby teething toys made of hard plastic, such as those gigantic plastic key rings (Rattle Keys), are another favorite toy for bunnies. Don't give your rabbit soft teething rings, like the ones that are filled with gel. It's too easy for your pet to chew through them and he/she could end up digesting some of that gel, not to mention the thin plastic of the rings.

Slinkies seem to fascinate many rabbits. The large plastic ones are usually the best ones for bunnies. Try arching a slinkie beside your rabbit, and see what he/she does.

Small stuffed animals can be fun toys for some rabbits. They like to pick them up and carry them around--or toss them.

Like I said.. trial and error. lol
Sometimes rabbits enjoy the most bizzare toys.

My bunny has timothy hay on hand at all times, Kate. There is no question in that. :DI just want to make sure that his front teeth are getting the work out that they shouldwhen it comes tochewing.

Thanks Desi! Your response was ultra specific and it really gave me some great ideas. I only want the best for my bunny, much like all of us do. I just got concerned because he wasn't chewing his actual chew toys and resorted to my finger. A lot of what I hear is "only give a rabbit toys that were designed for rabbits" but as long as there aren't any toxins or things of the such then why not let them enjoy what they want to enjoy, right? Even if it is a bird toy or cardboard box. lol

Also, does anyone's bunny use salt licks/mineral chewsand are they truly necessary?

I've got one of those wood chews for Gizzy and he's not interested either:p Unlimited hay is ultimately the best thing for wearing down teeth as stated above. I have also found that he likes apple flavored twig bundles, you can find them at pet stores. It is def trial and error with these buns, esp fussy buns :biggrin::goodluck

They're fussy cause they know we'll spoil them. lol

I think that the chews attached to the cage is a good idea and so is the apple twigs. I know when Herbert gets a taste of little apple chunks once in a while, he absolutely loves them! ;)

sometimes they chew on the wood toys and sometimes they don't. Our bunnies really enjoy paper rolls from towels and toilet paper. They also have several cardboard boxes around the room which get replaced periodically as they tend to be chewed to nothing.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
sometimes they chew on the wood toys and sometimes they don't. Our bunnies really enjoy paper rolls from towels and toilet paper. They also have several cardboard boxes around the room which get replaced periodically as they tend to be chewed to nothing.

And you just use any cardboard boxes that you find and/or have available?

Salt licks aren't necessary. Your bun should be getting all the vitamins and minerals he needs if you're feeding him a good pellet.

One of my buns does like to nibble on me but over time I got that to stop with the help of making a high pitched squeal noise whenever he bit me.

My buns don't care for wooden chew toys much either. They like things they can destroy like cardboard boxes, toilet paper tubes and phone books.

missyscove wrote:
Salt licks aren't necessary. Your bun should be getting all the vitamins and minerals he needs if you're feeding him a good pellet.

One of my buns does like to nibble on me but over time I got that to stop with the help of making a high pitched squeal noise whenever he bit me.

My buns don't care for wooden chew toys much either. They like things they can destroy like cardboard boxes, toilet paper tubes and phone books.

Haha! I'm thinking I have to try that technique because he is always trying to chew on my thumbs for some reason.

Also, I have a bunch of cardboard boxes and paper towel rolls set up for my bunny, thinking he would enjoy to basically destroy them and do as he wishes, however, he doesn't seem interested in them. Rarely does he ever acknowedge their existence. I attempt to place him in a tunnel and he simply runs out the other side and that's that. I am beginning to think he's pretty stubborn. lol

I'm also heading to some stores today in order to collect some materials for homemade toys he may enjoy. Wish me luck! And I will share the finished products once they're all done.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-Branch-Bites-Small/dp/B0002AS9NS/ref=sr_1_243?ie=UTF8&s=pet-supplies&qid=1280700412&sr=1-243

Mybuns love these wood sticks. But only the one that is already split in half, not the full stick. Try sticking hay in a papertowel or toilet paper holder. Another thing to try is just open a brown paper bag. Cardboard is also a big hit in the house.

Make sure he does get plenty of hay for the back molars but also keep an eye on the incisors.

Just be happy he's not chewing on the mold trims like mine does.:biggrin2: I just sanded down all the one in their bedroom this weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:
hln917 wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-Branch-Bites-Small/dp/B0002AS9NS/ref=sr_1_243?ie=UTF8&s=pet-supplies&qid=1280700412&sr=1-243

Mybuns love these wood sticks. But only the one that is already split in half, not the full stick. Try sticking hay in a papertowel or toilet paper holder. Another thing to try is just open a brown paper bag. Cardboard is also a big hit in the house.

Make sure he does get plenty of hay for the back molars but also keep an eye on the incisors.

Just be happy he's not chewing on the mold trims like mine does.:biggrin2: I just sanded down all the one in their bedroom this weekend!

Thanks for the link. I will have to check out those wood sticks as well. I am willing to try anything he may want to chew on for his frontals since I know he munches on hay like a maniac for his back teeth.

And I am definitely going to have to say that I am lucky that he certaintly isn't interested in chewing on anything I wouldn't want him to... like mold trims... lol

Last edited by a moderator:
My rabbit loves the cardboard boxes that are the 24 pack coke or pepsi boxes. We usually break open a hole in the top, so when it's on its side, my rabbit loves to play in there. During the day in her pen, she will also sleep inside it, because it is an enclosed area and she feels safe. Some days she rips it apart in there, and you will see the whole box moving and you can't see her. It's possessed lol. She loves shredding paper from phone books as well and cardboard tubes.

My boyfriend also cut off a piece of a 2x4 wood block for her to chew on. She liked that more than the store bought wood chews. Also, rotate the toys and chews because they tend to get sick of them after a while.

IDK for about chewing, but as a toy, my rabbit loves to bury under her towel. She has one in her cage and I'll go in there and find her totally buried underneath. One time I let her use my sweatshirt jacket when she was out and she kept herself entertained for quite a while burrowing underneath it. The only thing is, when I put it on later, I found little holes all chewed up on the outside of the arm haha. But she loves playing with towels too.

Snowballbun wrote:
My rabbit loves the cardboard boxes that are the 24 pack coke or pepsi boxes. We usually break open a hole in the top, so when it's on its side, my rabbit loves to play in there. During the day in her pen, she will also sleep inside it, because it is an enclosed area and she feels safe. Some days she rips it apart in there, and you will see the whole box moving and you can't see her. It's possessed lol. She loves shredding paper from phone books as well and cardboard tubes.

My boyfriend also cut off a piece of a 2x4 wood block for her to chew on. She liked that more than the store bought wood chews. Also, rotate the toys and chews because they tend to get sick of them after a while.

IDK for about chewing, but as a toy, my rabbit loves to bury under her towel. She has one in her cage and I'll go in there and find her totally buried underneath. One time I let her use my sweatshirt jacket when she was out and she kept herself entertained for quite a while burrowing underneath it. The only thing is, when I put it on later, I found little holes all chewed up on the outside of the arm haha. But she loves playing with towels too.

Haha! That's so sweet. :)I also equipped my bunny with a cardboard soda box playhouse (pictured below), yet he is only interested in it once in a blue moon. And since we've had it I've seen him slightly chew it maybe 3 times. Not as fond of it as your bunny is. lol

[align=center]
1z57wjc.jpg
[/align]

After I read your pose,Ibegan to realizethat since my bun and I are new to each other, I don't know his quirks yet like you know yours. You tell meconfidently that your bun loves to hide in boxes and play beneath fabric. All I know so far is that he likes to run around the house and be pet while laying on my chest. All the things I'm trying maybe aren't his interest or he's to wrapped up with exploring at the moment.

Also! Speaking of toys, I took a water bottle and put three small holes along one side of it and then added some rolled oats on the inside. At first he wasn't interested and now when he is in his cage he nudges and rolls it around to get the oats to fall out and eat them.

An aside: I appreciate everyone's advice! And keep em coming, they're all helpful :)

Latest posts

Back