Cherry eye/ third eyelid damage from a cat scratch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CookieNrayzee2020

Reaction score
Hello,
Yesterday we noticed that our little 4 month old angora Rex female, raisin, was hiding under the chair during a time she usually plays. Upon further inspection it looked as if her eye was injured in the corner area. After researching I’ve diagnosed it as a mild cherry eye.
We have another male Rex angora and they are not fixed, he is 10 weeks older and already in puberty. They are both wet sweet and a definite bonded pair. However we also have a cat and for the most part she is friendly to both bunnies but she is much bigger and stronger. Our boy cookie will charge her and she is intimidated by him. But she tries to play with them and can Somerines be too tough. I’ve felt scabs on raisin but not cookie. I’ve seen her lick raisin on the head and be very sweet with both bunnies but she does his at them when they get too close,

Anyway raisins cornea retina iris and pupil look ok but her third eyelid is a little red bulging and a black vein is visible. I’ve read this can be massaged back in pit bulls French bulldogs and other dogs but not much info on bunnies. 2 people on Reddit said it would heal itself. I also have a video

I’m planning on going to the vet tomorow. We have washed her eye with saline and tried to massage it gently under a warm cloth. Someone said they put Vaseline around their bunnies eye and it helped? But idk if that sounds right.

Please take your rabbit to the vet. Do not mess with her eye because may make it worse. Please do not put Vaseline on her eye.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the other rabbit that bit her and caused this to happen. If they are not spayed and neutered then they are not bonded and fights will occur. I would also not be surprised if she is pregnant so when you take her to the vet, ask them to check. If she is pregnant or not, please separate these rabbits until they are spayed and neutered, and properly bonded.

Get your bun to the vet quick as you can! I hope her eye will be ok. And, yes, you really need to get both your bunnies spayed and neutered as quickly as possible. And always keep a close watch when the cat is playing with your buns. Even though when your cat may be trying to play, the cat can really harm your bun if you’re not careful.

Latest posts

Back