Charlie's in Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlopsnWills

Reaction score
I posted this in another forum, so I'll just copy and paste it and see what you guys think I should do:

1st post:

The title pretty much says it all.. I'm worried sick, and this istotally wrecking my Spring Break. I went to Chicago on Saturday and wegot home Tuesday night. I left my dad bunny directions and he followedthem pretty well, except he gave them WAY too many oats. Even though Isaid a sprinkle a day, I guess he took that as a palm full. Anyway,William is fine.. he only eats until he's full, but Charlie gorges andwill eat anything put into his food dish. I'm SO incredibly worriedabout him. So far, he's still eating.. but he's not as excited aboutfood as he usually is. I gave him 3 wet leaves of romaine yesterday andit took him all day to eat them, usually it takes 5 minutes. He ate ahandful of hay lastnight while I was sleeping, and he did eat somepellets yesterday. Should I stop the pellets or should I let him eatanything he'll eat at this point? He will eat a cranberry if I give himone, and from yesterday to today, he's eaten 4 papaya tablets verywillingly. I wouldn't be worried, because his appetite is okay.. buthis poops are few and far between. The poops that are coming out, arehalf of what they usually are and I don't know what else to do. ShouldI go get some fresh pineapple juice and canned pumpkin?? Please sendgood vibes towards Charlie.

2nd post:

Thanks guys.. I've been a worried wreck all day. I thought I'd come onhere and give you all an update. I ran to the store and boughteverything I possibly could. I got Kale, Parsley, Green Leafed Lettuce,organic baby applesauce, canned pumpkin, canned pineapple juice (notfrom concentrate), and I looked at the unflavored Pedialyte, but all itis, is water with other junk in it and I'd be better off just syringinghim water. So far, he nibbled the pumpkin, just to taste it and leftit. He hates the pineapple juice and I don't want to force it, but thatwill stress the both of us out. He's not drinking as much water asusual, but he is drinking. I soaked his kale, parsley, and lettuce inwater and he ate the parsley like I had been starving him. I did takeaway the pellets because on one of the websites I read on stasis, itsaid to feed nothing but veggies and hay until you see big, healthypoops. If you think I should give him his pellets, let me know. My dadis really concerned and I don't want to say, "it's because you fed himtoo many oats!!" because then he'll just feel horrible and I don't wantto do that to him.. I'll just make sure the next time we go to Chicago,there's no oats in the house. So, if things are going in, they mustcome out sooner or later, I'm just super relieved he's still interestedin food somewhat.. he left some romaine from this morning and he neverdoes that, but he devoured the wet parsley and nibbled on the kale. So,everybody keep your fingers crossed for some nice, big, healthy rabbitpoop in that litterbox SOON!

3rd post:

well guys, no normal poops yet.. it's been all day! he ate some hay, heate a lot of his kale.. he is eating, it's just taking him longer thanusual. i was petting him about a half hour ago and i heard his tummygurgling, is this is a good or bad sign? he ate a whole spoonful ofcanned pumpkin, how much of that should i let him eat? i have a feelingif i gave him more, he'd eat it. i never knew his love of food wouldcome in so handy. he did have one poop about an hour ago and it lookedlike a clump of cecos.. i think he's improving, it just might takeawhile.. he's not really drinking, but he's eating a lot of wetveggies, so i think that may be why. let me know if there's anythingelse i should be doing.. i'm not going to lose this boy to somethinglike stasis after all he's been through.

should i give him more pumpkin? thanks for any input, i've been sostressed all day, this is driving me nuts.. i can't lose him to stasis.

I know what you're going through.Mocha just went through another gas episode last night that lastedsomething like 18 hours before she bounced back. I was atwork for the last 12, and didn't know it had gone on solong.:( She started eating just before I got home, and hasbeen pooping all afternoon. I'm actually going to go pick upgas meds right now in case it happens again.

Speaking of which, have you given him anything for gas?That's what the really loud tummy gurgles are, and he may also besitting hunched up or pressing his belly to the floor. Tummymassages, exercise, and heat can also help.

It's great that he's still interested in food. I'd encouragehay and the green leafy veggies. Stay away from anything withlots of sugar or carbs since that is what caused the problem in thefirst place. Water is extremely important, so if he's notdrinking you'll want to syringe some into him to make sure he's fullyhydrated.

Lots of vibes coming Charlie's way!
:purplepansy:

I don't know the exact thing about statis (Iknow it has to do something with the GI tract and all that) and myrabbits had times she she hasn't eaten anything in as late as two daysand I've only once had a problem.

First thing is to calm yourself down. Don't think about him notovercoming this, because he will! He's still eating and pooping so aslong as he keeps this up you won't loose him! Worrying if you look atit is just a waste of energy, it doesn't accomplish anything so justtake a few deep breaths :).

Try getting some simthecone. The starch from the oats might have led tothe change in appetite. I'm not sure if starch causes gas though? I'vestopped feeding my rabbit oats because I've read on more then one sitethat rabbits can't handle starch, and also my rabbits behindgoes all redwhen she's eaten oats.

He'll be fine, trust me! Just keep him eating and massage his belly.Try putting a towel in the dryer (or microwave) and putting it down forhim to sit on. I layed a warm towel out for Pepsi and she immediatelylaid on it and when I come back a few hours later she took more food.

My rabbit had a clump of cecal like poop but didn't really have a smella couple days ago after she'd not ewaten for almost a day. Hope allgoes well!

Hey - you've gotten good advice from naturesteeand spring. Again- just make sure he's drinkinglots of water to keep hydrated.

The pedilyte is mostly water, but itreplenishes electrolytes- it contains sodium and potassium etc. - which is needed for keepingthe body hydrated - like gatorade but don't give the bungatorade. If he's drinking water, you're good though.

And yes, the gas medicine (simethicone) does wonders for bunny gas. That and tummy rubs should help.

________
Nadia

well, we have poop and pee, but he is notdrinking any water. he usually goes through 16 oz of water a day, andhe didnt drink anything all day yesterday and i cant get him to drinktoday. i guess this means i have to force him, right? i REALLY dontwant to stress him out because im afraid it will make itworse.is there anything i can put into his water that isbunny safe? we have vanilla, but it's fake and i looked at theingredients and there's alcohol in it! i think i'm going to have to goto the store again and get some baby gas medicine and real vanilla..anything else i can put in his water that will make him want to drink?i feel really lost.. thanks so much for your posts.. it's hard to calmdown, but i do feel like he will make it since he's still somewhatinterested in veggies and he pooped and peed lastnight. how muchsimethicone should i give him?

okay, thanks so much guys. i'm off to the storeto buy the flavored pedialyte, simethicone, and vanilla.. anything elsei should grab?

A syringe!

If he doesn't start drinking, you start the syringing. Andsyringing the pedialtye is good too. Not too much of theflavored stuff though - has sugar in it.

_______
Nadia

okay, we have tons of syringes.. he's just sucha fighter about everything, i'm afraid to force him to do anything. onewebsite i read on stasis said they've had a lot of rabbits come in withstasis and wet veggies and hay always do the trick. the thing i'm mostthankful for right now, is that charlie is still interested in food.his obvious favorite is parsley, so i've been giving him soaked parsleynon stop.. he's still not drinking water. he has his bottle like usual,a bowl of water, and a little bowl of flavored pedialyte (charlie hatesit and i don't want to force anything until somebody tells me i haveto) he's been eating veggies on and off again all day, and he ate somepumpkin. when i saw those poops lastnight i was hoping it was over, buthe's still not acting like his normal self. although, when i let himout of his cage lastnight, he didn't want to be out, so i put him back.this morning, when i let him out for a run around, he binkied likecrazy.. so im hoping he doesn't get worse and only improves. if thingsaren't looking any better soon, he's going to the vet on monday.. let'sjust pray that he gets back to normal ASAP! i also gave him somesimethicone this morning.. i gave him .03 ml since that's what it saidto give small babies, and he got most of it down, but fought me sohard, my dad had to hold him. i don't like forcing rabbits anymedication because they're so delicate and can break their backs soeasily.. so i'm just hoping he's getting enough fluids from theparsley.. he's also munched on romaine and green leaf lettuce, but ittook him so long to eat them, that they weren't that wet anymore. idon't think he's pooped since lastnight, but he has peed.. so he mustbe getting some fluids. please keep my little man in your thoughts,he's a fighter and i think i'm more of a wreck than he is. what do youguys think?

Keep him eating. Sometimes if I give my bun toomany vegetables she doesn't touch her water. Just keep giving himsoaked parsley. If you pinch a bit of his skin around his neck andbring it up just tad and let go does it bounce back or sortof go back on it's own time? My vet did this with Pepsi and she wasvery dehydrated so he gave her an injection of water or something.

Try dipping her hay in water. I did this and it gave her more fluids,plus she ate more of it this way (I guess it apeals more to her becauseshe loves grass and it sort of has the texture of grass?). You couldalso try adding a bit of honey to her water, or some mint tea.

lastnight before i went to bed, he had about 10poops and they were slimey.. something i read on one of the stasissites.. but at least there's some poop! he does look like he's in painsometimes in the meatloaf position, but sometimes he flops on his sideand stretches his legs.. so i'm not sure if he's feeling horrible ornot. he STILL hasn't drank water and that's what i'm most worriedabout. this morning, i woke up to see all his veggies gone, but hedidn't eat a lot of hay. i gave him a ton more wet parsley and romaineand he ate all the parsley, and nibbled on the romaine. lastnight i wasso worried about him not getting enough fluids, i had my mom help me totry to syringe him some water and boy was that a mistake! he fought usso hard and was making the weirdest noises, so i vow to never try thatagain with him.. it just stressed the both of us out tremendously. atleast he has it in him to fight us! he got so scared throughout theforcing water, he pooped about 5 times, so i was happy about that. thething is, he's never stopped eating completely.. just not normally. hehasn't stopped pooping completely, just not normally.. so i'm hopinghis case is one of the less serious ones. i'm just keeping up with thewet veggies, hoping he's getting enough fluids from them and makingsure he has tons of hay if he wants to eat it. this isn't over yet, andi cannot wait until it is.. if he still isn't drinking by monday, i'mgoing to bring him in to get some fluids in him. thanks for being hereguys.. stasis is such a scary thing.
i'll definitely try dipping his hay in his water.. thanks for that.

If he's never stopped eating or pooping, that'sa good sign as the statis can't be a sevre case. I don't know ifthis'll work, but maybe try putting some water on his paws? Sometimesmy rabbit puts her paws in the water when she's coming to see me andshe licks them off awhile later. I'm just not sure if this would helphim. As long as he's eating the wet parsley and romain he should befine as along with the water outside of it and that vegetables(espicially like romain and celery and those kinds of vegetables) are alarge part of water. You could also try putting some water in thevegetable bowl so it keeps the vegetables moist and he might also drinkit? I'm not sure if the vegetables would soak up the water but it'sworth a try!

Have you ever fed him cat grass? (It's just basically oat grass). Thesevre case of statis I had with Pepsi where she ate practically nothingfor two days as soon as I put the grass in she almost ate the wholecontainer! It's full of fiber and water but I wouldn't want tointroduce it to him when he's in a bad digestion situation as it is butmaybe something to keep in mind to introduce in the future?

How mcuh is he peeing? If he's not a biter, try dipping your fingers(or hand) in water and putting it in front of his face. My bunny is abit of a licker and she sat there licking my hand. Hope her'sfeeling better!

Thank you for asking :) He seems to be doingbetter, he'll eat all the veggies I can give him and he ate all of hishay again lastnight. When I tempt him to use his waterbottle, like pushon it with my finger, he'll take a drink. I honestly think he's gettinga lot of water from all the veggies he's been eating, so I'm going tohope that's why he's still not that into drinking. He acts excited toeat his pellets, but then decides he doesn't want them.. so what do youguys think? He's doing really good with his pooping/peeing and eatingveggies and hay.

Hi,When a bun I used to have was selectiveeating and acting really excited about pellets and then not eating themand being reluctant to drink from the water bottle, it ended upbeing a dental problem - can't remember exactly which teeth etc as Iwas quite small but I remember telling my mum about Darcy not drinkingor eating pellets.Just rang a bell,Best wishes to you and the littlechap

thank you for asking.. he's much better andgetting back to normal very slowly. he's eating and drinking now andhis peeing and pooping is back to normal.. it was a very scaryexperience and because of it, neither of my boys are ever getting oatsagain!

I stopped feeding my rabbit oats too becauseit's not good for her. I don't know about other bunnies, but mine can'thandle the starch and she gets a reaction to it. Her bottem turnsbright red.

Latest posts

Back