Changing Pellets for a 9 week old

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZRabbits

Reaction score
I have a 9 week old bunny, who has been on the breeder's pellets since he could start eating. I've now started to the slow change to the pellets everyone here eats. I don't see the reasoning of keeping him on an alfalfa based pellet when I could get him on the Timothy pellets all are eating and suppliment with a bag of alfalfa if needed.

The breeder's pellets only come in a 50 lb bag and I don't see one bunny or two eating all those pellets and it staying that fresh after a while.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of adding more of the timothy pellets than before so that I know he's eating some of the timothy pellets. I want to make sure his system will take the new pellets. But if he's picking out the breeder's pellets and just eating them, how do I switch?

I didn't have this problem with Dobby and Kreacher because they were on timothy pellets already.

Thanks for any advise.

K :)

For young rabbits the key is toslowly switch them over to your pellets, sayover the period of a couple of weeks.At his age, I wouldprovide somealfalfa hay.

Oxbow alfalfa pellets come in 5-lb bags, so I'd have gone with this. While he's still growing he needs more calcium than timothy provides. But he could get that in other ways. Carrot tops have, far & away, the most calcium of any veggie. And rolled oats are high calcium as well.

majorv wrote:
For young rabbits the key is toslowly switch them over to your pellets, sayover the period of a couple of weeks.At his age, I wouldprovide somealfalfa hay.
How slowly should I switch from Manna Pro to Oxbow Alfalfa, or even Pureen Alfalfa pellets (Feed my boys Pureen Timothy) for a 9 week old? Same couple of weeks?

Thanks so much. And you too Lake. Appreciate both your help. Calcium. I know I can get it in other ways, but right now I know the pellets will make sure they get the right amount of everythingf for him to grow properly.

K:)

Nancy McClelland wrote:
When we transitioned ours, we took 4 days and had no problems.

Thanks Larry. That's how long I took to transition my boys to what I wanted to feed them. And there was no problem. Still have enough from the breeders to transition. Don't get me wrong, Neville has been doing very well and growing on Manna Pro. Was even considering buying it a few days ago, but 50 lbs will be way to much for two lion heads (when Luna's here). And kits are way in the future. Just can't justify buying it. I don't think they'll have any problem with ZuPreen. But there's always Oxbow which is sold around here too.

K:)

Update:

Neville is doing very well with the transition to Oxbow for Young Bunnies. All is well. Poop looks good. Pretty soon he will be totally on it.

Coat is excellent. Weight good and growing. No lethargic. Really active. Poop nice and formed. With all the water he's drinking, we need to go out and get a large crock.

Thanks Lake again for the suggestion. Really appreciate it.

Thanks so much Lake and Larry. Appreciate all the advise. It all went very smoothly, which I am eternally grateful.

Latest posts

Back