Changing from Timothy hay to Alfalfa??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MICHI_28

Newbie Bunny Owner ^~^
Reaction score
my bunny is 3 months old and the past four days i have given her timothy hay but i need to switch to alfalfa hay becausr she is so young and i already bought regular pellets four days ago from tractor supply from the breeders i got her from and i didnt want to change pellets so is it ol to just switch hays without having to gradually reduce anything. im looking to buy the oxbow brand hay

Since she is eating timothy, I would not do a full switch. You can give both kinds of hay. You may want to introduce the alfalfa over a few days since it is more rich.
Oxbow is a good brand. I have noticed that their alfalfa hay seems to have a lot of the fine stuff and not so much actual hay lately. Just something to look at. Most hay is pretty much the same anyway, but some can change from bag to bag.

If a young rabbit is getting unlimited, or close to unlimited, alfalfa based pellets(which sounds like what you are feeding) then there really is no need to also be feeding alfalfa hay. In fact feeding so much alfalfa can be too rich of a diet for some bunnies, and even cause digestive issues for some of them, like mushy poop, upset stomach, and excess cecals. The alfalfa based pellets will provide them with the right balance of nutrition for growing, and providing a grass hay like timothy, will provide them with a little extra fiber for good digestion and tooth wear. If your bun eats plenty of the timothy hay and has no signs of mushy or smaller than usual poop, then you can provide free fed pellets along with the unlimited timothy hay. If your bun will only eat mostly pellets and not very much hay if free fed, then I've found it better to limit a baby rabbits pellets a little, but not too much, so that they will also eat their hay. You basically want them to eat an amount of hay about the size of their body. I will usually give enough pellets so that they run out a few hours before the next feeding so that they will then sit and eat hay until they get fed pellets again, and I feed twice a day.

Another negative about feeding babies only alfalfa hay, is that it can make them picky about their hay and make it more difficult to transition them off of it and onto a grass hay when they are full grown and no longer should have alfalfa hay.

If you do decide to feed a little alfalfa hay, it can cause digestive upset for some rabbits, if introduced too quickly. So it's best to start with a small amount and gradually increase each day, as long as there are no signs of upset.

well i wish i would have read this earlier befote i bought the alfalfa..i guess i will just gradually change it because the pellets i give her isnt even timothy based its by producers pride i have to check the bag to see and ill jist transition with the alfalfa hay if its bad for her ill jist feed her timothy hay. ._. im a bit scared now because im low on timothy hay and idl when ill be able to get more im low on cash...i really hope this wont hurt her oh god..

It's fine to feed her the alfalfa if you've already bought it... I would definitely mix it with timothy (or any other grass hay) as a general rule so that she doesn't get so attached to the alfalfa that you can't get her to eat grass hay when she reaches adulthood without it being an ordeal (something I had to go through with my girls, heh).

At three months old, you can start introducing leafy green veggies as long as she tolerates them well (introduce one at a time, starting with a very small amount and gradually increasing it each day; keep an eye on her poops to make sure they look normal)... and you can also start limiting her pellets a bit (decrease the portions gradually, don't just cut back a bunch) - I generally recommend limiting juveniles to 1.5-2x whatever their adult portion will be (based on their expected adult weight, not their current weight) once veggies have been introduced. If you're limiting pellets somewhat and also feeding veggies, then it won't matter as much if a lot of her hay is alfalfa.

Also, do yourself a favor and skip the Oxbow hay! Instead, pick up a bale of horse-quality grass hay from Tractor Supply. It's usually *fresher* than the Oxbow stuff and it's a fraction of the price - you can save around $3000 over a rabbit's lifetime by feeding feed store hay instead of buying the overpriced pet store stuff! A bale can be stored for a year or more as long as it's kept cool, clean, dry and insect-free.

sadly i live a hpur away from tractor supply i have no ride there and my parents wont drive tht far... v.v oxbow wont kill her will it? im sorry i dont know to much and i worry alot about wht is good for her i really want to keep her for a long time and ill get her spayed in the next few months for sure. >< i bought this huge bag of pellets from tractor supply called producers pride idk of thts good but thts wht her hreeders were feeding her so i bought it

Lol, no, it won't kill her! I only mentioned Tractor Supply because you said something about getting pellets there... you could also look around for a feed store that's closer to you. Apparently there are a TON in your general area:
http://businessfinder.cleveland.com...81.402336&q=Livestock+&+Feed&place=Canton,+OH
http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?q...=Canton,+OH&invocationType=localTopBox.search

Feed store hay costs around $7-15 for a bale (bales can be anywhere from around 50 to 120 lbs); pet store hay costs $3-8 per pound. Let's say you could get a 50 lb bale for $10. That amount of hay would cost you a MINIMUM of $150 from a pet store - if, for example, you paid a friend $20 to take you to buy a bale, you'd still come out $120 ahead! A general guesstimate for hay consumption is 5 lbs per small-to-medium sized bunny per month, so a 50 lb bale would last one rabbit around 8-12 mos (longer if alfalfa were being mixed in while she was still young enough) - you could go a LONG time between trips to the feed store.

As for storing hay...
~ Bale bags are awesome (I love mine!)... but if you've got a tight budget, your money is definitely better spent elsewhere. As great as they are, there are cheap (or even virtually free) alternatives that are just as viable.
~ Rubbermaid-style plastic storage tubs are a great middle-of-the-road option... prices vary a TON from one shape/size/brand to the next, but if you can get a good deal, these are a very nice option. If you plan to keep the lid on, you'll want to cut/drill some ventilation holes around the top.
~ One or more cardboard boxes, each lined with a large, unscented garbage bag, can also be used to store hay. I mail-order my hay (I would much rather get the feed store stuff, but my girls are insanely picky). I've stored it *exactly* as it's shipped to me - in plastic bags placed in cardboard boxes - and it stays wonderfully fresh. This is definitely the most budget-friendly option!

Whatever method you plan to use for hay storage, I recommend bringing the boxes/containers/bags with you to the feed store if possible - if you ask, they'll generally cut the bale up and package it into your containers for you free of charge (which can be a difficult hassle to do on your own without causing the hay to decompress significantly).

If you can get a ride to a closer feed store, I also recommend picking up some bags of wood pellets (horse bedding) while you're there if you have the money/vehicle space for it. Depending on where you buy them, it's usually $5-9 a bag (40 lb bags). That stuff's rabbit safe (kiln-dried pine, usually) and WAY cheaper than any litter box substrate you can get at a pet store:
~ Wood pellets sold as horse bedding at a feed store: 12.5-22.5c per pound
~ Aspen pellets sold as small animal bedding at Petco: 40-45c per pound
~ Yesterday's news (cat litter; recycled paper pellets) at Petco: 68c per pound
~ Small animal litter (paper pellets) at Petco: 81c-$1 per pound

When I first got Nala and Gaz, I bought paper pellet rabbit bedding from Petsmart... that stuff smelled horrible straight out of the bag! It didn't neutralize pee odors well at all, either. I've heard other people say they really like paper pellet litter, so I'm guessing the brand I tried was particularly crummy, but you're still paying at *least* twice as much money for any litter purchased from a pet store compared to what wood pellets from a feed store cost. The feed store ones (unless you get a godawful brand, which seems rare case - I've used three different brands from three different stores and loved them all) do an excellent job of controlling odor and have very little dust.

Hay is - by far - where you can save the most money with a trip to the feed store - the savings don't add up nearly as fast when it comes to litter... but if you're there for the hay anyway and have the means to get some wood pellets as well, then there's really no reason not to!

~~~~~

As a note, if you simply can't get to a feed store at all, mail-order bulk hay is still a much better deal than pet store hay (AND it's fresher)... plus of course, it's delivered to your front door so you don't need a car.

I usually buy Sierra Valley Pet Hay's orchard grass; they also sell first and second cut timothy, alfalfa, an 80/20% orchard/alfalfa mix (great for younger rabbits) and oat hay (with oat, you'd need to pull the oats out before feeding it as the extra carbs and calories are very unhealthy for rabbits). Unfortunately, it's more expensive to get it delivered to your part of the country than mine... $42.95 for 20 lbs of one type ($2.15/lb) or $85.90 for 45 lbs of either one or two types ($1.91/lb).

KMS Hayloft sells 2nd cut timothy, 3rd cut timothy (a little pricier and less nutritious but some animals really prefer the softness of it) and bluegrass - that site is a better deal for you if you only want one type of hay - about $49 for 25 lbs ($1.97/lb) and $64.7 for 45 lbs ($1.44/lb).

[Both sites offer much smaller quantities of hay, but below 20-25 lbs you won't really save any money over pet store bags and may even end up paying more - FedEx and UPS offer significantly more cost-effective rates for larger packages than they do for small ones, so you get screwed by shipping on small quantities.]

I've purchased (or asked for/received samples of) ALL hays that Sierra Valley sells except for straight alfalfa (I've had their 80/20 orchard/alfalfa blend though) and I recently got bluegrass and a small amount of 3rd cut timothy from KMS - both sites' hays are amazingly high quality; so fresh, green and fragrant!

~~~~~

As for pellets, feed store pellets/any pellets recommended by a breeder are almost certainly a poor choice for adult pet rabbits but depending on the exact nutritional content/ingredients, they may be ok for juveniles. That's NOT a judgment on breeders' pellet choices, mind you - breeding and/or show rabbits as well as pet rabbits who live outside in harsh winter and/or summer climates need around 17-18% protein from their pellets. That much protein can cause serious health problems for an altered, indoor adult rabbit, though - they need 12-14% protein.

This site has GREAT info on pellets, as well as a table comparing different brands (by default, it's sorted to highlight good brands for adults - you can click to have it sort for juveniles instead).

well thats all great info. i really apreciate u taking the time to write all of that out for me...its such a life saver and thnx for telling me she wont die...i am a paranoid patty when it comes to animals...silly me im glad i came to this website

No problem! We can all be paranoid bunny parents sometimes, so we know how it is! ;)

As for the tips, I'm always happy to pass them along, as they were passed to me by other RO members. It's amazing how a couple little changes can make such a dramatic improvement budget-wise without ANY reduction at all in the quality of care your bunny gets!

Latest posts

Back