Changes in rabbit habit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi

Reaction score
My 1 year old bunny (not neutered yet saving for it) has for the last couple weeks has changed his habits. Normally he can be found lounging as close to the household activities as he can get and racing around his enclosure very active as well as being a piggy with his food and hay.

But lately he is hiding more and is not as social, his food and water consumption is down and he is ignoring his hay and this evening when I brought him out of his pen for grooming and pets he didn't fight as much as he usually does when picked up (especially since it was my husband picking him up cause the bunny dislikes him for some reason.), and his ears are cold. Any ideas what this could be and what I can do to help him while I am waiting for the vet appointment?

I would get him into a good rabbit vet asap. With him not wanting to eat his hay, it's possible he has some sort of dental issue causing him pain when he eats. Slow digestive motility or the start of an impaction is a possibility as well. Whatever the cause, he sounds like he is in pain of some sort, due to the reduced appetite and lowered body temp, and would most likely benefit from the vet getting him on some pain meds to start.

In the meantime, if his body temp is low(which it sounds like it is), take active measures to help keep him warm by providing a warm pack and/or warm towels. If dental problems, you could try softening his pellets in warm water and see if that improves his appetite at all. If he's used to eating leafy greens and will still eat some, I would also be offering those as well.

When a rabbits eating is affected, you really don't want to delay as it could easily progress into full stasis where they stop eating completely, then it's a real emergency. I would definitely get him seen tomorrow.

Thanks Jbun. The only issue I have is the only rabbit vet is in the next town over (30-45 mins away) and their not in daily, But I will call them soon as they open and see if the office can get their rabbit vet to come in for this.

Update: There is something wrong but they ruled out dental his teeth look good. But they took x rays and found his tummy is full but his intestines is not, but no gas or other signs of issue so they gave him some IV fluids to help with his dehydration and want him to be fed critical care 5-6 times a day with metoclop every 12 hours. and come back tomorrow if he is not improving (not sure how I can afford that todays visit took everything I had).

Latest posts

Back