change in littering habit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivibee

Reaction score
My mini rex is 4 1/2 yrs old, he's a really smart and sweet bunny. He has been well litter trained since the 3rd day we got him 4years ago. We have always put his litter box in the cage, and he has been using it fine. He is roam free in the house and he never litter anywhere but his litter box. Recently, he started to litter in the cage (not in the litter box), and he would sit on it and stain his front arms. I'm cleaning the cage almost every other day, but he is still using the cage more than the litter box. Please help me!!!

Maybe when the hutch is clean and empty, spray a mild vinegar solution in it, because bunnies hate that. Also, maybe let the litter tray build up a bit of poo and urine in it so that it smells more strongly of him so he knows to go there.

Is it possible there is a medical reason for him to go elsewhere?

Has anything changed in his life recently? Like a new addition to the household or anything? Maybe he is feeling the need to mark his territory.

Moominmoo wrote:
Also, maybe let the litter tray build up a bit of poo and urine in it so that it smells more strongly of him so he knows to go there.

Ditto to that! Firstly, then, try wiping up any accidents and placing it in the litter box. Maybe he's lost his good habits and this can happen. He just needs a slight retrain perhaps. Let us know how it goes.

Is he neutered?

Well he is turning 5 soon, is that consider quite old for a mini rex? will that be the reason he changed his litter behavior? But he is still quite active.
Yes there was a big change in his life, we moved to china for work 1 year ago. But he has been fine adapting to the new environment. Actually right after he got off the plane and arrived at the new house, he immediately recognized his cage and ran inside to use the litter box.

And thank you for the advice! Yes, i picked up some of his poo poo and place them in the cleaned litter box.....we'll see

Moominmoo wrote:
Is it possible there is a medical reason for him to go elsewhere?

Has anything changed in his life recently? Like a new addition to the household or anything? Maybe he is feeling the need to mark his territory.

Thank you AngelnSnuffy, I placed the poo in his newly cleaned litter box and it worked just now! he used the litter box.
Yes, he is neutered.
But recently he has been leaving "rabbit bud prints" all over the floor. Maybe he forgot to clean his bottom? or his poo poo or pee pee are too moist? It's funny how I can trace his bud prints from the cage all the way to the sofa (there are a few turns).

I think it's time for a vet appointment. If he's been well behaved for so long then there might be a health reason why he's not using the litter box any more. Perhaps he has a bladder infection or is getting arthritis early and can't get into the litter box.

5 is about middle-aged for a rabbit. They aren't senior citizens yet but they aren't spring chicks either. Rabbits often live 10 years or longer.

Thank you Naturestee for your advice. The bladder infection really worries me. Well, he still uses the litter box quite often, but he also started to use the cage (especially on his hay) for litter. I just don't want his front arms to have poo poo stain all the time. In fact the stain has been there for about 2 weeks already, is that bad for his skin? He does groom himself very often, but he likes to sit in his poo poo in the cage very often too.......
I'm quite confident that he doesn't have arthritis, because he is a naughty bunny who likes to jump up to sofa, tv stand, coffiee table, piled shoeboxes, etc.....
I'm particularly happy to read your comment on the regular life span of a pet rabbit =) I love my bun bun very very much. We are very attached to eachother.

naturestee wrote:
I think it's time for a vet appointment. If he's been well behaved for so long then there might be a health reason why he's not using the litter box any more. Perhaps he has a bladder infection or is getting arthritis early and can't get into the litter box.

5 is about middle-aged for a rabbit. They aren't senior citizens yet but they aren't spring chicks either. Rabbits often live 10 years or longer.

A little staining is ok, just check to make sure his skin isn't getting red or he's loosing fur. That's when he has urine burn.

Definately have a vet check him if you can- I think you said you're in China now? That might be a bit more difficult.

In fact he is shedding right now, it's very hot and humid in southern China and for some reason he skipped his post-winter shed and saved it for now! So he is having a really big shed right now. Maybe that's making him uncomfortable.....
Yes, it's much harder to find a vet in China. I tried to ask recommendation from my former vet in Houston. But he's not very well connected in China...... I wish there are Rabbits Online members who live in China!!!

Thank you very much for your help =)

Latest posts

Back