change in dominance?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunlow

Lunlow
Reaction score
hey guys. :)

in the last 2 weeks, i've noticed one of my rabbits (luna), who i presumed to be the sunmissive of the pair, mounting and chasing my other rabbit, (willow).

it doesn't really happen during the day whatsoever, they spend it cuddling and flopping around each other, they don't fight over food unless it's treats i'm personally handing them and they aren't really territorial, except that luna has a small enclosure that she likes because it is dark and quiet and she'll push willow away if she gets too close to it, which rarely happens. we're pretty sure she's deaf and (to a degree) blind so she's always liked dark areas and has been much more skittish than the other. willow doesn't go in this enclosure, merely sits outside quietly.

at night, luna seems to become extremely active and unusually dominant. willow doesn't seem too fussed and if luna mounts her, she will allow it to happen. she's chill about the whole situation, really.

i'll wake up a few times a night/early morning (3-6am) and see luna mounting willow, who usually just runs off after a few seconds.

it's odd behaviour that i haven't seen since they were 6 months old and getting spayed (they're 4 years old in around 5 months).

the only thing i can think of is when i brought them inside, mid november, because their old shed was falling apart and they were able to come inside but for the first 2 months, nothing changed in their relationship.

it's just odd that everything happens at night, even though they're still active during the day.

is there any explanation for this behaviour?

I'm no expert but doing some research this is my best guess.

If Luna is less confident in bright areas then this might be why you thought she was more submissive. If it only happens at night it probably means that Luna's confidence has grown and she's wanting to challenge Willow's position as the dominant. If Willow if fine with this dominant behaviour I wouldn't be too worried.

https://www.rabbitcaretips.com/signs-of-dominance-in-rabbits/
This link also explains that a sudden fight for dominance may also be because of jealousy, or the dominant showing signs of weakness (aging, sickness, absent for a few days). As I said before, if Willow is fine being the submissive then I think it's okay. Just keep an eye on things to make sure Willow isn't hurt or sick.

I'm no expert but doing some research this is my best guess.

If Luna is less confident in bright areas then this might be why you thought she was more submissive. If it only happens at night it probably means that Luna's confidence has grown and she's wanting to challenge Willow's position as the dominant. If Willow if fine with this dominant behaviour I wouldn't be too worried.

https://www.rabbitcaretips.com/signs-of-dominance-in-rabbits/
This link also explains that a sudden fight for dominance may also be because of jealousy, or the dominant showing signs of weakness (aging, sickness, absent for a few days). As I said before, if Willow is fine being the submissive then I think it's okay. Just keep an eye on things to make sure Willow isn't hurt or sick.
Luna also probably feels more comfortable inside than outside. I think two months is appropriate for rabbits adjusting to their new surroundings.

Latest posts

Back