Change in behavior of 2 bonded (was told) now 6-8 month old sisters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys. After the last time I texted about the rabbits mounting, the behaviour soon stopped and they've been happy getting along with each other. (I haven't had them fixed as have been told that if theyre happy theres no need) However over the last couple of days the behaviour has started again but the other one is doing it now and I've just noticed some fluid coming from the one doing the mounting when they separate and (she?) Is moving about. I'm worried might be a boy after seeing this! But I haven't handled them, (picked them up) as I've adopted the idea of not picking them up and stressing them out as I've heard they don't like it. So I'm not able to check them physically to see what genetals they have. I'm worried I might have a litter of rabbits in a month that I have no idea what to do with!

More to follow..

I know all this sounds very amateurish, which I am, but i assure you I have the best intentions for them and a happy longterm life ahead. I've attached a picture of a piece of cardboard that I put in their enclosure within the flat, ( free roaming when i. Home) that was clean and not marked 2 days ago. But I've just noticed this stain on it, does this look familiar to anyone? And also another liquid that looks like urine to me but they have been really clean, using the litter tray after week 1.

That's urine, and the white substnace is excess calcium deposits left after the urine dries. That's normal for rabbits, unless the calcium deposits are thickened and creamy, gritty, or gel like, then that indicates a problem called bladder sludge, and means changes need to be made.

It actually is usually strongly recommended to get non breeding female rabbits spayed, due to it helping eliminate hormonal issues, as well as due to the increased risk of uterine cancer for female rabbits. If you have a male, then obviously it would be to prevent pregnancy as well. If your vet is telling you spaying pet female rabbits isn't necessary, I would suspect this vet isn't particularly knowledgeable about rabbits. Spaying female pet rabbits is almost always recommended by knowledgeable rabbit vets.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits
I would suggest consulting with a more experienced rabbit vet, to get your rabbits properly sexed, and to discuss spaying/neutering. They are at the age for those hormones to start causing hormonal behavioral issues and hormonal marking. Getting them both fixed will usually help improve all of these hormonal behaviors like urine marking and excess humping. Plus if you want to keep them bonded together, getting them both fixed seems necessary at this point.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/
If you haven't separated them into different enclosures and plan on keeping them together until you talk to a knowledgeable rabbit vet, just be aware that there is a risk of aggression and fighting, particularly if you do have a male and female, and your female is now pregnant. So please keep a close eye out for signs of aggression escalating, and separate immediately before things escalate. Though my suggestion would be to separate now, keep in enclosures next to each other so they can still see one another, then get them both fixed before attempting to rebond.

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. Behaviour has stopped now, lasted about 3 days and back to normal.. no urinating outside the litter tray, no mounting going on. I'm in the process of getting them neutered now. Glad to see them calmer again in the meantime.

If it was mating, would the mounting and dominant behaviour stopped in this 3-4 days? Or still be happening?

It just depends on the rabbits. Some does will attack a male rabbit if a successful mating has occurred, and he tries to mate with her again.

Latest posts

Back