Chances of RHDV2 spreading through hay? India

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownieDaisyandJasmine<3

Reaction score
I scoured every piece of material I could find on the internet, but couldn't get a definitive answer to my question.

I read some places that hay can also spread rhdv2 if an infected wild rabbit somehow comes into contact with the hay in the fields.

We are in India, and I feed my bunnies timothy hay that a supplier imports from Canada. Now which jurisdiction exactly they supply it from I couldnt get an answer for that. And a recent update revealed that the virus had now been found in a few Canadian areas including BC, Alberta and Ontario. I guess the import takes around a month, but I also read that the virus can survive on surfaces for upto 3 months and even 105 days in a few cases.

Is there a possibility that my buns could get it from the hay? The virus hasnt spread to my area, which is why vaccines are out of the question. Is there any precautions I can take personally just to be extra safe?

Really appreciate any advice/suggestions. Thank you in advance :)

Ive read this but unfortunately all the trustworthy hay companies like small pet select, oxbow, rabbit hole hay etc are not available here.

There's only this one wholesale company called Himalayan Horse Hay that supplies Timothy hay to the majority of bun owners. And their customer base is largely horse owners but they make small packs for rabbit owners. So I dont think they will be paying much attention to rhdv situation.

Anything I can do at home like keep the hay in the sun maybe? Will that help? Temperatures are currently 89°F here.

In case others read this, here is the link to the statements from Small Pet Select, Sherwood, and Oxbow regarding their hay and this disease:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threa...s-from-sherwood-oxbow-small-pet-select.99171/
As far as those like the OP who cannot get their hay from these sources, not sure what options you may have. Perhaps one could contact the source and inquire directly. Since the Himalayan Horse Hay packages for rabbits, it would be a reasonable question. If they don't have an answer, at least they will be made aware of the situation.

Latest posts

Back