Certain traits that are very important?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavenderLopLover

Reaction score
Fellow breeders do you have certain traits that you believe important the health and vitality of rabbits? I'm wondering what i should work on for my current herd... I'm trying to work on breeding for bettering the breed but i want to work on whats most important health wise firstly...

To improve your herd you need to understand the pluses and minuses of the lines you're using to create your own line. When we started it took trial and error to figure out which lines worked well together and which didn’t.
Also, using rabbits with a strong immune system is important because they’re better able to fight off disease, and they can then pass this on to their offspring.

You won't like my answer but then I don't like that people are breeding rabbits when there are many thousands stuck in shelters desperate for a good home... It is well known that the healthiest rabbits are the ones that look most like wild rabbits, i.e. up ears, long skull (not flat-faced), not tiny, not giant, no crazy fur.

Please don't post unsolicited anti-breeding opinions in rabbitry forum.

Teeth, health, temperament (a rabbit that is easily stressed will be more susceptible to disease) and immune system are all important. Additionally, one thing that is important with hollands is that you select for does with wide hindquarters... with their big heads they can run into issues in birth sometimes. You want the back legs to be parallel to show that they have those wide hindquarters. Also make sure you've got wide, well-furred feet to avoid sore hocks

I might add that there is a very good pinned post at the top of this sub forum on why you should care about your rabbit’s genetic history...makes good reading that will also help answer your question.
Okay thank you guys! My does have nicely wide HQ with straight Legs and their fur on their feet are pretty thick some are better than others though

Latest posts

Back