Cefazolin safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caitlint770

Reaction score
Hey guys, so recently Bella has been getting treated for a corneal ulcer. She first got prescribed Vigamox to keep it clean and to help it heal. I took her back today for a follow up (it looks a lot better) and my vet told me that it still wasn't fully healed (after 3 weeks of Vigamox eye drops). He then prescribed Cefazolin, which ive been researching and have come to the conclusion that it doesn't seem very bunny friendly. Just wondering if any of you have used it to treat an ulcer or if you know if its safe. I am going to a more rabbit savvy vet in a couple of days for a second opinion, but i thought I'd see if anyone had any experience using Cefazolin.

It should never be given orally, or administered topically(including eye drops) where it could be ingested by the rabbit while grooming or through tear duct drainage. Cephalosporins should only ever be given by injection or surgically implanted into abscess cavities as beads.

There are much safer options of antibiotic eye drops for use in rabbits. The ones I've used are sulfa eye drops, ciprofloxacin, gentamycin, neo/poly eye ointment, for various eye issues in my rabbits over the years. I personally liked using the cipro eye drops best as it was cheaper and still as effective(for the eye issues and rabbits I used them with). Getting a prescription for 3 bottles at Costco, was less than $20. But the others worked fine, just costs more to buy from the vet.

https://rabbit.org/appropriate-use-of-antibiotics-in-rabbits-2/

Last edited:
It should never be given orally, or administered topically(including eye drops) where it could be ingested by the rabbit while grooming or through tear duct drainage. Cephalosporins should only ever be given by injection or surgically implanted into abscess cavities as beads.

There are much safer options of antibiotic eye drops for use in rabbits. The ones I've used are sulfa eye drops, ciprofloxacin, gentamycin, neo/poly eye ointment, for various eye issues in my rabbits over the years. I personally liked using the cipro eye drops best as it was cheaper and still as effective. Getting a prescription for 3 bottles at Costco, was less than $20. But the others worked fine, just costs more to buy from the vet.

https://rabbit.org/appropriate-use-of-antibiotics-in-rabbits-2/
Thats what i thought (regarding the cefazolin). We've also tried ciproflaxin multiple times to treat past eye infections, but it never fully got rid of the infection. I'll definitely look into the other ones you've mentioned, thank you for your reply!!

Latest posts

Back