Cecotropes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjpeter

Jenn
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but I see a lot of rabbit owners talking about cecotropes, but I've never seen one in the month or so that I've had Bella. Do all buns produce them? Does she not make enough? Is it a bad thing that I never see them? (I assume she eats them right away, but I just thought I'd check) Thanks for putting up with this novice bun owner. :)

Not seeing them is a good sign. Your rabbit should be eating them directly from the anus. They look sort of like a blackberry and they smell rather musky, you'll know it if you see one. Seeing cecotropes can be a sign of a problem like a diet with too much protein or an overweight rabbit that can't reach their anus.

Not seeing them is a good sign. Your rabbit should be eating them directly from the anus. They look sort of like a blackberry and they smell rather musky, you'll know it if you see one. Seeing cecotropes can be a sign of a problem like a diet with too much protein or an overweight rabbit that can't reach their anus.

Thank you! We were working on taking off an ounce or two extra that she came with from the rescue, so hopefully she continues doing a good job cleaning up.

Not only is it good for the rabbit's health if she's eating them straight away, but it's good for your nose too ;) Squished cecotrophs can be pretty darn smelly, lol. Additionally, rabbits mainly produce cecotrophs during the night, so even if not eaten straight away, you're still unlikely to see them. I sometimes catch Bandit in the act in the late afternoon, then I have to remind myself not to let myself be licked by him straight away, lol.

My Bella is on baytril for pasteuella. She's not eating her night droppings. Is this a serious concern?

Not only is it good for the rabbit's health if she's eating them straight away, but it's good for your nose too ;) Squished cecotrophs can be pretty darn smelly, lol. Additionally, rabbits mainly produce cecotrophs during the night, so even if not eaten straight away, you're still unlikely to see them. I sometimes catch Bandit in the act in the late afternoon, then I have to remind myself not to let myself be licked by him straight away, lol.

Lol...Bella is a licker, too.

Latest posts

Back