Cecotropes..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello guys, a few days ago I saw haru trying to eat her cecotropes, and I don’t know why she couldn’t, she left a pile on the floor and laid down on her side, lift up her leg, and tried to eat it while she’s laying down.. I’ve never seen her do this! Is it weird? i geve her the pile that she left and she ate it. Yesterday she’s been eating cecotropes the whole time, she’s either eating it or sleeping.
Today she’s not active much, she’s sitting under the bed or in the cage.. I also saw a few cecotropes on the floor, her neck and back smells like it, and now the whole room smells like cecotropes and it’s disgusting..
Also I’ve been seeing odd poops mixed with normal poops for three days now, I want to say that she’s been inactive but she’s always like this.. but now it’s a bit more, even when i call her she won’t move, I got worried but she did a binkie yesterday and I’m not sure now..
And i heard her teeth clicking while she was loafing, how can I know if it’s purring or teeth grinding?

It is quite normal for Rabbits to eat their poo directly from their anus. Rabbits have double digestion that means they would eat nutritious first cycle poo. Nothing to worry. Caecotrophs are normal and part of normal digestive system in Rabbit and hare family.

Latest posts

Back