Cecotrope Substitute for orphans??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahlyn

Reaction score
I have kept my wild cottontails alive since day 4... they’re day 20 and thriving.

However, I’m terrified to make the switch to solids as I absolutely cannot get them to eat cecotropes. Mind you, I can’t get cecotropes instant fresh. Usually several hours old being I get them from someone out of town. I can’t find anyone closer.

What is the best substitute??? They’ve been getting probiotics and bovine colostrum since day 4 (day 1 with me).

I can’t lose them now!!!

Please give me ALL the information you can on transitioning cottontails without cecotropes. Best started feed, amounts, how they’re introduced... is diarrhea usually the cause of death? Can I counteract it with Pedialite?

I’m going to put cecotropes into the cage and hope they merely eat it. They FIGHT me when I try to put it in their mouths. They mush it and spit it out if I succeed in getting it in. I can’t separate a piece from the cluster without squishing it. Would it be better than nothing if I simply squished it into the formula???

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Do you think it’ll be ok to let them try Timothy hay with only having had probiotic powder? How old are they when they self feed feces or cecotropes?
Thank You

My experience has been the same as SableSteel, just put regular bunny poops in the cage and the babies will usually eat some. That has been sufficient when I had orphaned buns. They do that naturally and needed no coaxing.

Latest posts

Back