Cavy Cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meghan910

Reaction score
Ever since I made Manhattan his cage he's loved it. I've never had any problems with it. I would really like to let him get in and out of his cage (of couse when I'm home)at his own will rather than me have to pick him up to take him out. Is there any way to make a hinge-like door on these cages? Please let me know..Thanks!

Picture.jpg

The easiest way I've found it to use loose zip ties for the hinges and dog collar clips for the latch. On your cage, the best spot would be the middle of the long section, and make the door two grids high. And put the door on the outside of the coroplast flooring.

Psst. I want a pic of Manhattan!:D

If you don't want to compromise the strength of the cage, you can take the lower, middle grid out, cut out the middle, leaving a "frame". You have to file down all the sharp edges, replace it, then put another whole grid in front of it with hinges. This way, you can leave the connectors and zip ties in place and the cage won't shift.

Cage.jpg

This is the best pic I could find. I hope you can see what I mean.

On both Maisie and Flower's cages, we have a door in the middle bottom panel. It doesn't compromise the strength or stature of the cage in the least. We have it attached in four different places along the hinge side of the door, and have it attach with a clasp, and I've never had a problem with the solidity of the cages. Give it a shot and see how it does.

Note: the part of their cage that has the door also supports the bigger top level, and having that door there still doesn't hurt the structure at all. It's just as solid as not having the door there. Not only that, but when I had to cut the ties to make that panel and the one to the right of it flip UP so we could replace Maisie's floor recently with pegboard, and even that didn't compromise the structure. The cage was just as solid as if we hadn't done it. I was actually a bit surprised! :)

Here's a picture of the door and where it's placed...

15hiyp2.jpg

Aww...he's DARLING!! What a cutie!! Do you call him Manny for short? :)

:bunnydance::bunnydance: My two girls, Maisie and Flower, say HELLO HANDSOME! :)

Thanks..but sorry ladies, he's fixed.

This boy gets called everything but Manny, haha. My dad calls him Monkey since he's always binkying around the house and jumping on the couch. When he was little, he actually jumped out of that cage, thank God I was home, so nowthe screen is over it. He gets called Silly, seriously, every name under the sun.

It's a heavy duty plastic called coroplast. I heart it. I've gone through two sheets of it, it's fairly inexpensive and oh so easy to clean. If you go to cavycages.com they have a part where you can search thru zip codes and all that andwhere to find it. Home Depot looked at me like I had 100 heads when I heard you could make cage bottoms with it. They were like, well,what is it used for when your not making rabbitcages?!?

Manhatan bit the edges when they were inside and out of the cage, so my boyfriend and I put a metal screen door track aroundthe outside.

I'm making a cavy cage as well! :D I think I have cage-aphobia though.. I get so overwhelmed trying to think of a way to do it!

I usedcoroplast for mine too (All white.. kinda blank but it does hte job!). I'm planning to make it 4(or 5) x 3 x 2. With a shelf :D.

:shock:I was planning on keeping my top open, but if your bun can jump out of it, then I might have a problem!!

I have cut grids before like Laura mentioned, after I filed them I also added a little drop of rustoleum paint so that it was a finished surface again. It worked great!

Megan

Latest posts

Back