Cats and rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jurisfiction

Reaction score
I’ve had Marlow for over a year now and in that time he’s had the upstairs to himself. I have a series of gates to keep the dogs downstairs and until recently the cats couldn’t get over or through them either. However, one has apparently done some strength training during this time and now she can jump over them. She only comes upstairs if I’m upstairs-
As far as I know,
Really, but if I’m downstairs she follows me around there. The cat is fascinated yet alarmed by Marlow and if he’d move she’d run. Until the last few days. He’s never been alarmed by her- his posture doesn’t change and if he’s comfy he won’t budge. Today, however, he’s been following her around. They’ve been inches away from each other. She reached out a paw to him like she does when we’re playing - you know, because she’s a cat. They’re now still kind of staring at each other and Marlow hops closer to her and she moves off a bit.
For others with mixed pets- will they reach detente? Can they coexist?

I do not have personal experience, but some rabbits and some cats can co-exist, yes!

There is a quick, but informative video created by SPS that goes over some basic information and expectations. There is good information around the fact that cats are hunters, so being mindful of what a rabbit might do that may trigger this, as well as ways a rabbit might respond to a cat in its territory:

HRS also published two short reads with some useful ways to set you up for success: Cats and Rabbits | House Rabbit Society , Rabbits & Cats | House Rabbit Society

I think the highlights are being intentional about where and how the two pets begin introductions, the importance of supervision, and a constant understanding that it just might not work, depending on the two pets' personalities themselves.

They can in some instances, coexist supervised. However, you don't want your cat to play with your rabbit like it would another cat. Play biting or scratching, could result in injuries that become infected with very harmful bacteria. There are rabbits that have died from an owners pet cat scratching it. So definitely don't allow or encourage any pawing or play behavior like that.

Also, is he neutered? Because you don't want him to decide your cat is a prospective mate and start chasing her, as that could result in her freaking and lashing out.

Also, is he neutered? Because you don't want him to decide your cat is a prospective mate and start chasing her, as that could result in her freaking and lashing out.

He’s not neutered and is pretty much fearless of anything. Noises, other people, he always runs towards to check out. I hope that’s not why he likes following her around. And she is one to swipe at things- and she’s got claws. the other cat doesn’t swipe - ever- but she can’t get upstairs.

I think I’ll stick with the plan to keep them separate, even when I’m there. I need to figure out a way to make that area cat invasive proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your cat is quite the artiste. Is her name VanGo?

If you’re not sure what to do, the best thing is to figure out a way to keep them separate.

However, based on what you’ve said, I would probably let them interact, with close supervision in the beginning.

When I got Ted, we already had an elderly cat in the house. He wasn’t neutered, and he sometimes tried to love her. (That’s why we named him Ted Bunny). Anyway, we had to separate them a few times, before the cat learned to stay out of reach of the rabbit. She did take a few swipes at him, to get him to back off, but didn’t cause injury.

So, eventually they got it sorted out, and achieved a detente, without too many problems.

Your cat is quite the artiste. Is her name VanGo?

If you’re not sure what to do, the best thing is to figure out a way to keep them separate.

However, based on what you’ve said, I would probably let them interact, with close supervision in the beginning.

When I got Ted, we already had an elderly cat in the house. He wasn’t neutered, and he sometimes tried to love her. (That’s why we named him Ted Bunny). Anyway, we had to separate them a few times, before the cat learned to stay out of reach of the rabbit. She did take a few swipes at him, to get him to back off, but didn’t cause injury.

So, eventually they got it sorted out, and achieved a detente, without too many problems.

I hate to say it, but the cat's name is Josie. Like in Josie is a Pussycat. My kids hate that name, but then again, it's not their cat. She was in the room a lot when I painted (this was before Marlow arrived and the whole room is muraled because I got a bit carried away) but she didn't even give any tips or critiques. Mostly napped. I want to paint a mural on at least one wall in Marlow's night time room but haven't decided what to do yet. I mean, do I go with the usual rabbit burrow and field and what not? Marlow isn't giving any suggestions either.

I don't mind when Josie only wants to nap in that room, and Marlow pretty much sits in his daytime tunnels. But other times it makes me worried when they try to stare each other down, or follow each other- Josie more sneakily than Marlow who is determinedly straighforward.

It's good to hear that yours bcame friends- or at least able to co-exist! Mine might be on the way to that.

Latest posts

Back