Quantcast

Catnip okay for rabbits?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

mdith4him

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I tried looking this up, but all I could find were Yahoo Q&As and I trust you more than them! I bought a scratching toy for Junie that is really meant for cats, but I think she'll like it, too. It comes with a small baggy of catnip. The directions say to sprinkle a bit over the scratching part of the toy to attract cats to scratch it. The pieces of catnip are dried and crumbled, so they're very small. If she ate some, would it be bad? Or is it okay for bunnies? She can still use the scratching bit, but it might be a fun treat to have the catnip on it, too.

MyBabyHasPaws

Reaction score
Hmm.. i dont know.

Ive only watched ONE cat on cat nip.. its like kitty crack or something. I wouldnt do it.. lol
good luck!

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
For humans and dogs it is great for upset tummies. I have no idea if it has that effect on rabbits, but mine love to chomp all kinds of mints.

LakeCondo

Reaction score
I got my information from Rabbit Health in the 21st Century, page 166. It also says, which I should have mentioned, not to feed rabbits [or maybe any other animal] the seeds. Seeds wouldn't be in any catnip you buy, but with growing plants, just don't use the seed heads.

If you don't have plants, if your rabbit likes dried catnip, you could use catnip teabags: tear off string & remove staple, of course. Your rabbit may enjoy playing with &/or eating the bag & it's ok if they do, though a bit messy with dried catnip all over until they eat it up.

JodiShearon1974

Reaction score
I had some bags of dried catnip that I got with some cat toys and Ash found them and ate the catnip, that was about 3 months ago and no ill effects since
My question concerns the catnip balls..? They're supposed to be made for licking, so there's no chunks, but wasn't sure if my JubesJubes licking it could be harmful...it says they made from dried mints...there's diff flavors, mint, carrot and one other...my cat not as interested as I'd hoped, but wondering if Jubes might b able to enjoy them.? She's a mini holland lop....

Attachments

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
I wouldn't give it to her because it probably has other stuff added that she shouldn't eat. Give her some fresh herbs instead, she will like them more.

Zee-Man

Reaction score
Catnip is related to mint. Some of the sources that have been linked claim all mint is safe for rabbits. Maybe you could provide a link to the product you are using?