Catch 22

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lala007

Reaction score
hi everyone,

so I am still having the same problems with Shin Shin. He still won't let us pet him, he still growls at me while eating from my hand with his ears pinned down. He's been with us since May. yes, neutered, yes, totally bonded with Gren (who is spayed). Patience is making no difference at all. I feel like this is a catch-22: be patient and not push it, but I need to be able to handle him for brushing and other . how much should I handle him? he growls, boxes me, catching him is always a drama. I try not touching him, I try touching him. we would never give him away, but it would be nice if we could at least interact without him putting on his aggressive act.

Gren is not cuddly but she isn't so angry. I feel like the worst rabbit parent ever.

thanks!

lala

It's not your fault. Don't feel like a bad rabbit parent. Unfortunately, I have no experience with this, so I don't have much input. Teddy wasn't that interested in my at first, so honestly I just pet her, held her, etc. ALL THE TIME and eventually she got used to it and then even started liking it. Just make sure not to chase him, you don't want to SCARE him... This honestly might be the worst advice ever, I would definitely wait for another member to weigh in before you follow it.

Could you maybe spend a little time with him each day, maybe in a bathroom, where he can't get away, and there isn't anywhere to really hide, with just you and him. You could sit there on the floor with him and just ignore him and read or use your laptop. He'll eventually become interested in what you are doing, and with out his friend around, he shouldn't feel as secure about things, which should help in your favor.

Also, when he's acting aggresive, have you tried gently but firmly, pressing the head shoulder area to the ground, like a dominant rabbit would do to another rabbit to discipline it? This technique works really well with some rabbits and not so well with others. You would just have to try it and see.

thank you for the feedback. :). i wish Shin Shin were just quiet and scared instead of scared and aggressive/dramatic. the good part is that he has never really hurt me, and the one time he did bite my husband, it barely broke the skin. I have never had rabbits before, so this is a mystery for me. Since he and Gren sleep in a large room with free range, it is difficult to handle him. if he is confined in a smaller area, he is cage aggressive. if he's in a crate or hutch, if you get too close, he attacks the cage to keep you away. this behavior may very well be why he was dumped at the animal shelter, and suggests to me that he's very poorly socialized. I think his behavior has made Gren less social because she becomes alarmed when he is alarmed.

anyone else have an aggressive bun who you have successfully socialized?

oops, I missed your message while I was writing again. I can spend time with Shin Shin solo out of his territory in a small area every day. I guess I will try that. thank you also for your suggestion about correcting him, because I think he has come to think that his behavior is acceptable. interestingly, this reminds me that he used to be the same with Gren when we were working on bonding, until Gren established that he was to be hers. I wish she would put some reciprocal effort into grooming him-- he gets so disheveled compared to her!

He's probably just learned that when he's scared, acting aggressive will keep the scarey thing away. I would try the bathroom thing. You don't have to corner him or anything in there. Just sit and let him hop around, or he can just sit too if that's what he wants to do. If you are worried about aggression, wear clothes that will protect you, and gloves if you need to. I think he just needs to realize that you are ok, and that the aggression thing isn't going to work. Maybe put a bowl of food next to you,or veggies if you feed them, so that he will have to come near you to eat, but just let him eat, don't touch him or anything. Some rabbits just take more time and effort than others because of previous learned behaviors.

Could you maybe try petting him or giving him nose rubs while you are feeding him his veggies with your other hand. That way he might start to associate you touching and petting him with treats and good things. It's the same type of postitive association training that you would do with dogs.

Latest posts

Back