cat scratched his eye!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigglebread

Reaction score
I'm making an appointment tomorrow but this just happened an hour ago..
Cat is now banned from my room after this. I noticed right away my bunny wasn't opening his eye well at all, I opened it gently as possible and flashed a flash light, I can now he 3 small orbs in the center and a small scratch glint, the other eye looks well and healthy. He's eating and acting ok, even accepts treats still but that's cause it's too early to tell I'd say. He's ok with opening the eye maybe half way but not fully.

Someone just now on my FB suggested washing his eye out with saline solution? I have a sinus rinse neilmed mix I use for my sinus rinse ( netti pot), would that be ok ? They said it would help stop any infection a bit? I'm really scared, he's only 4 months old about and I'm entirely attached to him :(

Any big concerns I need to talk to the vet tomorrow about? I'm guessing antibiotics cause of the cat and anything else to heal the eye?

EDIT : He's actually opening his eye fully now it seems but of course the 3 orbs are most likely there still, I shouldn't take any risk still right and still see the vet?

Last edited:
I don't know about the saline rinse but I highly suggest reading this....Good thing you made the appointment. You need antibiotics asap
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f14/dangers-cats-rabbits-please-everyone-read-basils-story-68997/

Now I feel ill and not sure I can sleep after reading that :'(
I have 22.7mg/ml of baytril from a previous hamster that just died 2 months ago... oral use, would any of that be of use right now?

edit: I will probably get my cat declawed now for sure..or claw caps

Last edited:
Hello, sorry to hear about your bunny :( I'm glad that you've got an appointment at the vets as like I heart fraggles said cat scratches and bites are really dangerous for buns!

But please try not to worry yourself TOO much! I've currently got a little bunny from my does litter who is now around 12 weeks old. At six weeks, they somehow managed to dig out under what we thought was a VERY secure enclosure, and unfortunately my little one got caught by next doors cat! He had a VERY large wound on his head, it was huge. The cat had also ripped two holes in his ear :( Of course we took her to the vets immediately, and the thoroughly cleaned it and put her onto baytril. They were very very suprised that she was even alive! We've since been to the vets multiple times for check ups, and she's been moved onto a stronger antibiotic as an infection developed. She's doing extremely well, the wound on her head has completely cleared up and there's lovely new skin that's grown over the top. The ear is getting better but is still slightly infected. The ear will unfortunately have to be amputated as it is dead tissue now, but we're waiting for the infection to clear up. There's still a chance she will not make it but she is very strong and has done so well for 6 weeks already!

I've got my fingers crossed for your bunny! I really hope that he's okay and that the vets can sort you out with some strong antibiotics to ensure no infection has a chance to set in! :)

The eye is pretty self cleaning. Yes cat scratches are bad and that is worst case scenario. Just be aware it happens. Watch it very carefully as my rabbit is going through the same thing. Ish. She's having her eye removed due to a puncture that was missed. It started as a little scratch that went away with ophthalmology drugs. The puncture was internal and required an ophthalmologists care. Again she's worst case scenario but this is the third time she's gone through eye trouble. The other two times she healed just fine. The rabbit eye is very unique in that it has the ability to regrow lens tissue. See what the vet says first. Worrying will just upset your bun and believe me they can sense it. :bunnyhug:

Just back from the vet, they were really nice and have rabbit-savvy vets there :)

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/543896_10151635708442519_190832592_n.jpg

Claudio ( I named him pancake but he has been called Claudio too many times by my fiance that it's his real name now :p ) was doing well this morning, his eye was able to be open nicely and he was still interested in eating and drinking. The vet applied some dye to the eye and we could see a little bit of specs that must be from when the cat scratched. She said it doesn't seem his cornea was scratched and everything should be ok after 1 weeks worth of ointment drops ( tobramycin ) and a week of antibiotics (tms liquid ). I'll be watching him closely but I'm glad he seems unphased by this all.

I am sure he will be ok! Cat claws are gross but with timely antibiotic treatment and good hygiene, the chances are definitely on his side.

Don't get your cat declawed though :( It's natural behaviour. And, I mean this in the nicest way possible, it's the owner's responsibility to ensure the safety of the pets. There was no way you could expected or foreseen this or anything. The claw caps are a good solution, so it keeping your cat's claws clipped weekly. When they aren't super sharp they are less likely to actually dig in and scratch.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

I am sure he will be ok! Cat claws are gross but with timely antibiotic treatment and good hygiene, the chances are definitely on his side.

Don't get your cat declawed though :( It's natural behaviour. And, I mean this in the nicest way possible, it's the owner's responsibility to ensure the safety of the pets. There was no way you could expected or foreseen this or anything. The claw caps are a good solution, so it keeping your cat's claws clipped weekly. When they aren't super sharp they are less likely to actually dig in and scratch.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

I agree on the claw caps, the idea of declawing left my mind pretty quick when I remembered how easier it was to do caps, I'm picking some caps up later today. I'll update this later after a week or if anything changes south. :)

Latest posts

Back