cat proof bunny area?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac0731

Reaction score
I’m looking for a good solution to cat proof a bunny area. We have three cats but only one is super interested in the bunny. She tries to stick her paw in the cage so i have moved him onto my dresser for the time being. I would love to give him a bigger area to run around and be safe indoors (as we live in texas and it’s insanely hot). He gets about 4 hours to run around outside every day but i would love ideas on an indoor bunny habitat that she can’t stick her paw in or jump in. he’s currently in a large dog crate type thing that the people we got him from provided us with. i wish i could give him a room but we don’t have the space right now but maybe in the future. (picture of the temporary cage below)

Attachments

• 7455CC46-48FF-4201-8A73-0A56C00DEB9F.jpeg
    7455CC46-48FF-4201-8A73-0A56C00DEB9F.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 19
That is a very sad place to keep your rabbit. I only see a little bit of hay, a water bottle, and no toys. Here are some Housing Options. Would you consider free-roaming him? Of course, you will need to rabbit-proof, litter train, and neuter him (if you have not already) before he can free-roam. Cats and rabbits can get along perfectly if you bond them correctly! When bonding the cats and the rabbit keep a close eye on both of them. If there is any nipping or clawing spray water with a spray bottle on the one who bit or clawed. If you have any questions about rabbit-proofing, litter training, neutering, bonding, etc. feel free to ask!
BTW- Welcome to the forum! Make sure you introduce yourself (and your rabbit) in the "Introductions" forum!

You can wrap the bottom portion of the exercise pen with a plastic hardware cloth to prevent a cat from being able to reach through to the rabbit. The photo below shows this:

1593541102843.png

The hardware cloth (plastic) is just attached with some zip ties. You can also see how the pen is set up with some toys and tunnels and a cardboard box. (Be sure a box is not against the pen wall or bunny might use it to hop over the pen ;) .

You can put a light sheet over the top of the pen (attach with clothespins) to prevent a cat from jumping inside.

I put hay directly in the litter box. I would agree that your hay rack, though nice-looking, is rather small. A rabbit should eat his body size in hay every day. It's a good idea to have either a large rack that sits over top of a litter box, or put the hay in the litter box (add fresh hay on top every day). That will make cleanup easier.

You can wrap the bottom portion of the exercise pen with a plastic hardware cloth to prevent a cat from being able to reach through to the rabbit. The photo below shows this:

View attachment 49086

The hardware cloth (plastic) is just attached with some zip ties. You can also see how the pen is set up with some toys and tunnels and a cardboard box. (Be sure a box is not against the pen wall or bunny might use it to hop over the pen ;) .

You can put a light sheet over the top of the pen (attach with clothespins) to prevent a cat from jumping inside.

I put hay directly in the litter box. I would agree that your hay rack, though nice-looking, is rather small. A rabbit should eat his body size in hay every day. It's a good idea to have either a large rack that sits over top of a litter box, or put the hay in the litter box (add fresh hay on top every day). That will make cleanup easier.

Oh! We also have 3 cats and are bringing home triplet girls bunnies this month. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to know any more information you might be able to share about the 'plastic hardware cloth' mentioned above! We were thinking about doing the same on our x-pen because of the cats but use chicken wire/ zip ties???
Thoughts????? Thanks!

That is a very sad place to keep your rabbit. I only see a little bit of hay, a water bottle, and no toys. Here are some Housing Options. Would you consider free-roaming him? Of course, you will need to rabbit-proof, litter train, and neuter him (if you have not already) before he can free-roam. Cats and rabbits can get along perfectly if you bond them correctly! When bonding the cats and the rabbit keep a close eye on both of them. If there is any nipping or clawing spray water with a spray bottle on the one who bit or clawed. If you have any questions about rabbit-proofing, litter training, neutering, bonding, etc. feel free to ask!
BTW- Welcome to the forum! Make sure you introduce yourself (and your rabbit) in the "Introductions" forum!
thanks so much! free roaming is the goal but i want him to have a safe space while i get him and my cat used to each other! he’s getting neutered this month (he was too young till now). this is also when we first brought him home. his cage is now spruced up with lots of hay and toys!

Latest posts

Back