Cat litter for underneath mesh floor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! My Holland lop bunny has a armoire that we turned into a cage. She has 3 levels. The top 2 levels are wood with puppy pads and fleece covering it because she is not spayed yet. The bottom level is mesh, and beneath the mesh layer is a big tray to catch her number 1 and number 2. We are planning on potty training her to only go potty on the bottom level after she gets spayed. What I want to know is, if I use cat litter in the tray, is that safe? Are there special brands that are safer than others? Note that she will not be touching it or having direct contact with it because it is below the flooring. I am worried about fumes or particles etc rising up. So my question is, is cat litter safe to go under the mesh, are there safe brands, and is scented okay? Thank you!

Wood pellets (pelletized bedding for horse stalls) would be a better choice. You can find it at Tractor Supply. Wood stove pellets would work also as long as there are no other additives or chemicals used to treat the pellets. The compressed pellets are designed to turn into sawdust when wet. They also hold down the urine smell.

Hi, cat litters are unsafe for rabbits except of wood litter pellets mentioned in above comment, you can find them in pet stores as well but at tractor supply type stores they would be much much cheaper. They are brilliant for rabbits absorb urine well and keep smell under control you should really try them one I am sure you will love them.
I wouldn't use puppy pads at all but some people use them for rabbits I know, I avoid any plastic that they can chew and consume as this could lead to gut stasis and you never know if your bunny decides to chew on them one day. I'd be interested to see a pic of your setup. You can train your rabbit to use a toilet box even if she's not spayed yet, my unspayed girls are quite good at using their toilets, well except of Smokey who is great too but sometimes nas periods of peeing everywhere kind of raging. otherwise she uses her toilet box too.

Look for something like this 100% pine wood litter
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Feline-Pine-Original-Cat-Litter-20lb/10418554

Last edited:
Cat litter, as long as it is not scented works as long as your bunny does not come in contact with it is safe. But it doesn't do a good job of keeping the smell down. The clumping kind is not biodegradable. The wood pellets stated in above posts works the best, and it better for the environment.

Latest posts

Back