Cat batted at rabbit; how to look for injury?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MulberryContessa

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I have a 2 year old rabbit named Clover that I adopted from the House Rabbit Society 3 months ago. She is absolutely in love with my cats, a 12 year old female named Moon and a 6 year old male named Monroe. I never ever ever leave her unsupervised with the cats, but I do hang out nearby them when they are with each other because she gets sad and lethargic when she doesn't see them nearby. For their part, Monroe seems to enjoy being around her but Moon is more hesitant.

Today I was pleasantly surprised when Moon showed an interest in her and even let her cuddle up next to her! Clover was lying against Moon's side, Moon was tolerating it without complaint, but then the rabbit jumped up suddenly (probably to use the litter box) and it scared Moon so much she whacked her twice on the top of the head with her paw. I don't know if she used her claws to do it. It scared Clover and the bunny rushed to hide in her cage (her safe spot) and Moon ran the opposite direction equally freaked out.

I looked all over Clover's head and I don't see anything, but I absolutely don't want her to get an infected wound or abscess. She's a chinchilla rabbit so she's not covered in thick angora fur or anything. And I don't see anything. But is there something I should do in the meantime? Does this warrant an emergency vet visit? Is there a way to thoroughly check her out? I am worried I missed something. When we got the poor thing she had an abscess on her chin that we had to have surgery for and then very soon after she had GI statis which we treated immediately. If I can avoid having to take her the vet and saying: "Look who's back!" that would be wonderful. Heh. But, of course, if I have to I absolutely will.

Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it!

You may want to shave fur off her head to check it out better, but she probably won't tolerate it. A safe 'medicine' to use to disinfect scratches is Colloidal Silver, basically water with silver added (research will explain better). You can just spray some on her head and it'll do its stuff.

Latest posts

Back