Castration day :/

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bun is currently at the vets, I pick him up at 5. I felt terrible taking him and leaving him at the vets even though I know he will be fine and its for the best.

Just wondered about after care, what's worked for you if you've been through this, and any tips/ advice

Thanks in advance :)

Aww, it’s okay. I’m sure he’ll do just fine! Your vet will likely give you some pain medication to administer to him for the next week or so. They should tell you how to administer it.
When my rabbit got neutered, I brought him into my room and put him in a small xpen. I took the lid off of his litter box so that jumping in and out had a less of a risk of him tearing his stitches. It’s likely that he won’t eat much once you bring him home, but he sure to offer hay and veggies right away. I’d also bring his favourite treat with you when you pick him up to offer to him. My vet advised not letting him out for about a week once he came home.
Administrating medicine through a syringe was probably the worst part! But a trick for me was putting the dosage in the syringe and smearing the banana all over the top, fooling my rabbit into thinking that it was just a great treat! :D

If you have any worries, just ask them to your vet when you pick your bunny up. You could also write them down so that you don’t forget.

My bunny has just come home from being castrated. He was so lively and running about when we got home and now he seems so dazed! I guess maybe meds could have worn off.
he just wants to sleep now which is fine but when he sleeps he’s so still I think he’s died!
even his nose stops twitching so I keep waking him up. He hasn’t eaten or had a drink since he came home either. I’ve tried loads of his favourite stuff. He ate loads at the vets.
Is this normal?

My bunny has just come home from being castrated. He was so lively and running about when we got home and now he seems so dazed! I guess maybe meds could have worn off.
he just wants to sleep now which is fine but when he sleeps he’s so still I think he’s died!
even his nose stops twitching so I keep waking him up. He hasn’t eaten or had a drink since he came home either. I’ve tried loads of his favourite stuff. He ate loads at the vets.
Is this normal?
How is he now? Did the vet give you pain medication to give him twice a day? If not, I recommend you change vets. Here is a list of rabbits vets: Rabbit Friendly Vet List

Storm got castrated on 1st of july, just some days ago. We dropped him off at 10 and the vet said: oh it'll take 1.5hrs we'll call you when it's done. We spent time in the city until 13.00 and decided to drop in and ask if everything was ok as they hadn't called us.
Storm was in his carrier, munching hay and coming to investigate us. Back home he immediately started cage raging on the carrier bars so about an hour later his crate setup was ready. It didn't give him much space but he seemed fine with it. The first thing he did was drink from the bowl, then he munched on some dandelions and fell asleep floppity lop.

Now he acts as if he never had the surgery in the first place! He's stopped snacking on our fingers without reason though.

Attachments

• 20200701_161221.jpg
    20200701_161221.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 7
He’s fine today, just seems angry! I guess he could be in pain but he just seems really territorial about everything.
ive left him roaming our kitchen, I’ve just sprayed his calming spray on his blanket so hopefully that’ll calm him down.
I can hardly change vets now once he’s been done! It’s not going to get me any pain meds for him is it Diane R?
Thanks for your reply

He’s so angry with me, keeps running at me and biting me? He’s worse! He was lovely pre op 😩😩

He’s fine today, just seems angry! I guess he could be in pain but he just seems really territorial about everything.
ive left him roaming our kitchen, I’ve just sprayed his calming spray on his blanket so hopefully that’ll calm him down.
I can hardly change vets now once he’s been done! It’s not going to get me any pain meds for him is it Diane R?
Thanks for your reply
If you think that changing vets will give you pain meds, then not really. Any rabbit savvy vet can prescribe your bunno some pain meds.
And he's gonna be grumpy for a week, no worries with that either.
He’s so angry with me, keeps running at me and biting me? He’s worse! He was lovely pre op 😩😩
He'll calm down, just give him some time. Ask the vet for pain meds. And it seems that he also needs some extra space. Try interacting with him just as much as you were pre-op and if he's still crazy angry, let him have his peace. Storm wasn't really kind to me either two days after his op.

Thanks for your reply
My point was that if they don't give pain meds, they are not proper rabbit vets so I would switch vets for future care. Most of the post-op complications are due to vets not prescribing adequate pain relief.

He’s back in tomorrow For a check up so I’ll see if they’ll give me some then. Thanks for your help

My point was that if they don't give pain meds, they are not proper rabbit vets so I would switch vets for future care. Most of the post-op complications are due to vets not prescribing adequate pain relief.
It's not that if they don't give pain meds to you to give at home it makes the vet horrible. Storm didn't recieve any painkillers either and when i asked why she said that they'd already administered it to him. Not prescribing pain meds doesn't automatically make the vet a bad one. You just have to ask.

It's not that if they don't give pain meds to you to give at home it makes the vet horrible. Storm didn't recieve any painkillers either and when i asked why she said that they'd already administered it to him. Not prescribing pain meds doesn't automatically make the vet a bad one. You just have to ask.
I didn't call anyone horrible. They are just not rabbit vets. No rabbit vet sends a bunny home after surgery without painkiller. And giving an injection on the day is not good enough. No painkiller lasts for more than 12 hours in bunnies.

Okay, sorry, my bad. I misread that.
Well, everyone is different. I, for one, am lucky to have had buns that didn't need any extra painkillers after the initial post-op. But sure enough, there are more bunnos that need. In such instances, true, better switch to a vet that is more savvy.

Latest posts

Back