Cartrophen

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilly100

Reaction score
Looking at cartrophen as a opting for my older bunny , to help ease his arthritis and bladder problems
He's been on pain meds for a long while as well as meds for bladder.
Has anyone got experience of using Cartrophen for their rabbits.
Thanks in advance

I personally don't have any experience with it myself . But there was this article where they gave rabbits cartrophen. This is what was written :Hydrocortisone succinate (cartrophen) can have a deleterious effect on rabbits articular cartilage HA and proteoglycan metabolism. I don't know how legit or truthful it is but it's what I found on the good ol' internet. Then again there are bunny owners who have found that it has helped their buns. I'm also pretty sure that it's a prescription only medicine. In that case consult with a rabbit savvy vet. I might have all if these facts wrong so I'm sorry. It would be best if someone more knowledgeable would weigh in.

Hi thanks for your reply,
I have been in discussion with our vet who is a exotics vet about Cartrophen. Not been able to find much info esp for use in bunny's. It seams to be used in guinea pigs quote a lot from looking at piggy forum .
From my understanding it's not h-cortisone. It's pentosan polysulfate . Here's is a extract from Cartrophen vet page
Cartrophen Vet (100mg/mL pentosan polysulfate sodium) is a prescription only, injectable,
It looks like I will have to keep hunting for info , had a couple of people who have used in bunny's and they said was good and one who said it was risky for their bunny !! So it's quite frustrating.
My boys still on antifreeze hocks so got 3 weeks or so to find more inFo. It's difficult at times to know what the best decision is . Thanks again

I don't know much about cartrophen, but there is a member on here that gave adequan(rx) injections for an older bun with arthritis, and he mentioned seeing a definite improvement with it's use. If that's available where you are, it maybe worth looking into as another option.

Latest posts

Back