Carrot tops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelnSnuffy

Reaction score
I heard this mentioned a long time ago. Some of you do this, go to grocery store, and request chopped off carrot tops from the produce section? Hubby goes for me on his way home and always sees just the packaged long carrots. So, do most stores chop the tops off and toss away? I told him to ask for them. Anyone still do this?:)

The parsley has looked like crap for over a month, that time of year. Bought some bagged romaine, for the Snuff. We each had two salads and it's almost gone w, nothing but carrot slivers and cabbage at bottom.:grumpy:

The grocery store I buy produce from sells the packaged bagged carrots and there's no tops that come with that. They also sell bunched carrots that have the tops on but most places around here sell it by the bunch and not by the lb so I don't think they bother chopping off the tops for people.

I do have success at my local farmer's market when they have carrots for sale by the bunch. They ask all their customers if they'd like the tops chopped off for easy travel and most people say yes. I go and buy my other produce and ask if I can have some carrot tops. Last time they gave me an insanely huge bag of tops. My crew couldn't eat it all and I brought most of it to the shelter. My goodness, it was wonderful. Ya know, I had to pick through some of it because some was goopy, and all of it had dirt (from the farm) on it so thorough cleaning was required but there was more than enough super green and crisp looking tops in the bag.

I bought parsley last week and thankfully it still looks ok. Parsley does look quite awful during the cold months sometimes :(

I'll always remember the time that I was checking out at the grocery store and the person in front of me was buying a bunch of carrots with tops. The checker asked if she wanted the tops chopped off and the customer said yes. The checker was ready to throw them in the trash when I piped up with "umm...could I have those please?" They both looked at me strangely until I explained that my rabbits would love them.....and they did!

slavetoabunny wrote:
I'll always remember the time that I was checking out at the grocery store and the person in front of me was buying a bunch of carrots with tops.
That reminds me of the situation I had too. :biggrin2:

I was in line, saw the carrot tops were getting chopped off and I asked for them.I started a conversation with the customer and the clerk and we started talking about rabbits in line. Found out that the clerk had an empty rabbit cage at home and she asked if I wanted it. I told her she can drop it off at the Humane Society, as they will take any used stuff.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Good to know and good to hear from you!;)
Too bad you don't get to go into the fast food outlets or restaurants. TodayI was doing mydeliveries, and the cook was peeling carrots. There was a whole pile of the carrot skins getting tossed out.

Its unfortunate the waste that comes from restaurants and such. I once was at the grocery store and seen the trolley of used veggie and fruit scraps ready to go out to the trash so I asked them if I could take it for my bunnies and my sister was with me and had guinea pigs. The workers were dumbfounded and got a manager (I mean how hard is it?!) who said we could NOT take the scraps, I even offered to pay! They said it was against health regulations. . . o_O

My mum brought a giant carrier bag full of crinkly cabbage like stuff for Scamp. He's not entirely keen but he's working his way through... it keeps for weeks stored somewhere cool. We do the same with cauliflower leaves as they often take the outside ones off and trim them. A market or farm shop is probably the best source although if you have local allotments then you can probably swap bunny poop for all sorts of veg spare parts.

Wow! We have an outdoors market for most of the year I wonder if they would be interested in my poo!! lol Also are you referring to kale when you mention the crinkly cabbage stuf?

Latest posts

Back