Carrot the bunny!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MILU

Reaction score
Bilém was adopted on August 20, and that same night I got a new bunny to foster, her name is Carrot.

She was REALLY scared and shy when she first got here. She almost didn't eat, ran away when anyone got closer, and if I tried to touch her when she ran to hide inside the cage, she'd hit the cage walls trying to escape. Really sad.

This is how she was before:
1cenoura-antes-7560.jpg

Carrot when she got here:
1cenoura-7562.jpg

I had put some mattresses next to the walls to make the bunny area warmer. My other bunny Bilém was a saint, she never touched them. They were still there when Carrot got here, but she decided to have some fun. The pics were taken after half the mess was already cleaned!!

1mess-7563.jpg

4-7564.jpg

Carrot is white and yellow. It seems like the yellow is actually her color too, I thought it was something else at first.. but she has patches of different fur colors and texture.

1ceno-7561.jpg

I thought it'd take forever to be able to touch her.. but I was wrong! She let me touch her this afternoon. She was still afraid, and would run away, but first she let me pet her and I could see she enjoyed it.

She was really quiet this afternoon, I only knew she wasn't sick 'cause she ate a whole lot of food. More than my fat Bilém used to eat. But this evening (last evening at this point!) she showed me she's not at all as fragile as I thought she was.

There's no door in the bunny area, it connects to the kitchen. I used a box (with a plastic table still in it) to close the door. It's as tall as half a door, it works fine. Not even fat Bilém and her troublemaker friend together could put it down, and they tried it. But my precious, little, FRAGILE Carrot did it. She's been breaking out of her area the whole night, I don't know what to do. I'm going crazy constructing and engineering barricades, she either puts them down or flies over them, it's unbelievable what this tiny little bunny can do! She jumps the box that is 3-4 feet tall!! I SAW IT twice, I was afraid she's break a leg, this bunny is crazy!! My fear is that someone opens the balcony door and she goes there and jumps from the balcony. I live on a high floor. That door is now closed, but people here always open it… :(

I carried 5.2 water jugs to put in the barricade, heavy sheets of wood, a chair, etc, I add more and more items, she's STILL jumping it, she's just done it again while I write this! I'm desperate, don't know what to do anymore. Even if I decide to put a door there, it'll take some days, so I need another way to stop her.. and I'm afraid she'll eat the door and shred it to pieces like she's been doing to everything else. Ideas are more than welcome!!

On the good side, she already let me touch her (a little bit then runs away) and tonight she let me kiss her head, I kissed her even more than once.. awwww…! So sweet! I could hardly believe that little scared bunny would be so full of personality and strength!
I hope she stops jumping out of her area, she can get really hurt doing that.. I lost count of how many times she did it tonight..

My barricade keeps getting new stuff.. nothing seems to stop this tiny little bunny!!

Obsolete model of barricade (didn't last 20 minutes)
p8220262-7559.jpg

This is more or less what the "barricade" looks like now..
2-7558.jpg

It feels like one of those cartoons in which characters runs really far from a Woody Woodpecker (or a ghost, whoever), they somewhere and put all sorts of stuff behind the door to block it, then realize Woody (or the ghost) is into the room with them... LOL they get crazy trying to figure out how that happened..
It's always seemed too "cartoony" or unreal to me, now I know where they got inspiration to write this kind of story!! haha

Crazy rabbits... Mine aren't really jumpers - they're too lazy! XD

Carrot looks like a New Zealand or NZ crossbreed. Are you sure the yellow isn't urine stain on her fur?

Perhaps you could get a refrigerator/freezer or similar cardboard box. It would be tall enough to block her jumping. Keep it intact & put paper, safe wood, &/or other bunny safe chewables inside. That way she would need to chew her way to freedom rather than jumping. lol Well hopefully this will give you some other ideas to keep Carrot safely in her room. She is such a cute & endearing bun! Enter her in the bunny olympics! I think she will win any jumping contest, paws down!

Thanks for all the comments! I called someone who put a door on the way from the bunny area to the kitchen, the door doesn't close that perfectly but it's ok, I put some big jugs of water behind, boxes with things, etc, I hope she can't push all that. I'd be ashamed anyway. She's been easily disrupting all my efforts, and she's just a little bunny.. I'm the big one here, got a bachache, a stomachache (from being worried) all sorts of aches.. she just has curiosity and doesn't even need strength to break all my meticulously engineered barriers. haha

Allison, at first I thought her yellow color was urine too, but she has patches with different types of fur, some darker, some lighter, some harder, some softer, some thicker.. I never saw a bunny like that before. She must be mutant. Hmmm - that'd explain some things!!!

Hello Devon Carrot!! :) How are you? Be a good Carrot, please, your mum thanks you very much. You're cute!!!

Emily, I had to put signs, people might think she's just a little bunny. She's definitely not!!! Lol

Tauntz, thanks for the idea, I'll do that if the door I got now fails. I'd love to get her trained, she'd be the Solar System champion!! But she'll only be with me for about 2-3 weeks (I guess) - only time enough for her bunny-friend to be neutered, she already has an adopter :)
Oh I hear someone pushing the door with all stuff behind it.. I hope it's not her, 'cause I gotta go to work again.. will only come back by 10:30 pm.. ouch she'll be crazy.. she started trying to put the door down by 4:30, but without much emotion. She's gonna get it going hard right when I'm at work..

Nancy, that's a good idea, 2 baby gates.. but each is about $200 here, and I'm not sure she won't jump it, or get caught on it, or pass through the bars.. the model I saw wouldn't keep her..

I've heard the upstairs noisy neighbors (I live in a building) opening their windows, got paranoid thinking it's Carrot doing it.
This bunny is haunting me! It's the 1st time a little bunny scares me so much!
I'll go check it anyway, I know she can't open windows but it's better to go check!

Just in case, Allison, if the yellow color is actually urine.. it's probably been there for some time.. it's not easy to clean.. do you have any suggestions on how to clean it, or how to find out if it's her color or stains?
Thanks!

** It wasn't Carrot opening the windows - phew! :D

Hmm... Has she molted some time that you've had her? That would have gotten rid of the old, stained fur and would indeed prove that she's yellow. If not, you can use a couple different techniques to get the stain out. Corn starch, wet or dry - wet gives a deeper clean. Also, apple cider vinegar works well. A corn starch apple cider vinegar mix combines the might of both!

I heard that hydrogen peroxide works well, but it really dries out the fur and skin. I, personally, would not touch my rabbits with it, especially since I'm showing them...

Thank you for the tips Allison!! Very useful!
Troller, I've always heard of bunnies who were escape artists, never thought I'd have one, and so hardcore!

Hey Brazil! I am good although the shed has been boarded up and the side so I can't get underneath, coz when I did I would stay under there for ages and ages, that's my mate Oscar checking out the barricade, I jumped it easily, so it was made higher!
2cpc903.jpg

Wow, Oscar can jump that? That's probably as high as the barricade I made here, that's impressive!

Oscar was too fat to jump it but carrot jumped it, oscar climbed, it believe it or not he got his paws inbetween the slats and got over it. But it's rabbit proof now :pullhair:

Carrot has some diarrhea.. I'm worried! I don't know how bad diarrhea is for rabbits.. or what I can do.. our vets are horrible, there isn't 1 I trust.. well, only one, but he's a dentist vet, won't treat any other problems :(

Depends how long he´s had it and how bad it is. You need to take away the pellets and just leave him on the hay with lots of water. I must admit that when mine had diarrhea, he was quite young but I headed straight to the vets to get him checked out and they gave him a jab and also some stuff to add to his water.

Devon carrot sends her love and hopes you get better soon' lots of hay and water x

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Thanks, Devon Carrot!
For those who don't know, my Carrot has had watery diarrhea since last night.. I could only go to the vet this morning, there was nowhere to go last night.. (story of my life!) I can give her planty of fluids with a syringe, she hasn't been eating much but she gives 1 or 2 bites to munch something here and there. I've never had a bunny with diarrhea like that before. Last night someone from the rescue group told me 3 of 7 bunnies of her litter died from this diarrhea, and to make things worse, the vet felt something that means she can be pregnant. She took an antibiotic shot today and will keep taking if for some days (I forgot to ask how many, I was so nervous and didn't sleep at all again, so at this time I don't even remember my name...)

So please pray for Carrot..
She was a real sweetheart at the vet. She behaved really well! She changed a lot since she came here. She couldn't see people, she ran away from anyone, hid in a cage and kept hitting the cage walls to escape.. now she really likes people and being petted :heartbeat:
She's just waiting to go to a home where she'll have a lot of love and a bunny-friend. I told her to live, it's going to be worth it! I guess she got it :)

Ah, one more thing: the vet said Carrot is actually white and yellow, she's not stained by urine. I've been rubbing her to clean her... good thing she took it as pets and enjoyed it..

Latest posts

Back