Carpets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyChickenGirl

Reaction score
My Mom works at a furniture store and brings carpet samples (good size ones not tiny ones) home every once in a while to use around the house. I would love to put one in the bunny pens just so they can enjoy it if they want. I wouldn’t really care if it got peed on or torn up, but I would like to know are there any kinds that are dangerous? How much if any of the carpet can they eat before I need to remove it (I know they will probably shred it, but eating it is different)? Is there anything else I should be carful of?
This is the current set up.E05923E6-E1A8-4C9A-94E7-D0C64D5F8185.jpeg

Are they Berber, textured, or patterned carpets?
I had a Berber carpet for my first rabbit and he never shredded it. I would watch very closely how much your rabbits are destroying it if the carpet is really fluffy (made of wool or polyester). But besides keeping an eye on how much they may ingest, I don't see a problem with it. People keep their rabbits in their room with carpeted floors all the time.

Low pile carpets are less chewing temptation as mentioned. It is the edges you'll want to watch out for. That is often where the chewing begins. But it does depend on the individual rabbit. I had carpet in a number of my rabbit cages over the years without any issue.

Just try it and observe. Carpet fibers can cause a blockage so if there is chewing, either remove it or, if it is just an edge, then figure out how to block it off. But watch closely especially in the beginning. If the chewing starts, you want to stop it quickly so bun doesn't get in his head that carpet is for chewing.

Latest posts

Back