Caring for my new baby lionhead/lop mix

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendrix

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a first time rabbit owner and I picked up my lovely Hendrix from a pet store yesterday. I was told he was a lionhead/lop mix and that he is around 7 weeks old (I found out only today while doing more research that this is a bit too young for the pet store to be selling him, which I'm sorry about!) I want to give him the best care possible, and be as informed as I can, so I have a bunch of questions about caring for him. If you guys could provide the answers to even just a few I'd be grateful! A lot of sources have conflicting information and I'd like to get it down pat.

-His current cage (temporary for only one more day until the larger one arrives) is pretty messy. I only set it up at 3pm yesterday and I gave it a thorough cleaning this morning as soon as I woke up, removing all of the waste and putting all of his hay back in the food bowl. But it's already a mess again. Are there any tips for keeping it cleaner? He seems to be pooping a lot and I'd love to get him litter trained before I eventually get him fixed- is this possible?
-Is it true young buns should be consuming unlimited hay? I was given Timothy hay at the pet store in my kit but now it's come to my attention alfalfa is better for babies. Would feeding him unlimited alfalfa (or Timothy) make him gain too much weight? How do you guys make sure there's enough hay in the cage at all times? Hendrix will chew through a whole pile in an hour.
-He was very calm about being held yesterday, and I still think he likes to be held because while he's free ranging in my room he'll hop up on my lap. But sometimes he goes to lightly nibble on my fingers while doing this.. is there a way to stop him from doing that or is it normal?
-Is neutering/spaying absolutely necessary?
-How should I keep him entertained aside from playing with him myself?
-In your opinion, what is the best bedding material?
-Are there any products you recommend to hide wires/bunny-proof my room further?
-Should he be on a strict eating schedule with the pellets? How much should I give him?
-Lastly, is it inevitable that his ears will lop, or is it possible that since he's a first-gen mix he'll inherit the lionhead ears that are upright? Of course I'd think he's the cutest bunny in the world anyway, but I just love his pointy ears! Out of all of his brothers and sisters, he's one of two that is very markedly lionhead-ish. I'll attach a picture of them all. And him too, sunbathing and napping a few hours ago because it's just too cute!

Thanks so much.

Attachments

• IMG_6053.JPG
    IMG_6053.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6079.jpg
    IMG_6079.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6137.JPG
    IMG_6137.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6144.JPG
    IMG_6144.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 11
Hi guys, I'm a first time rabbit owner and I picked up my lovely Hendrix from a pet store yesterday. I was told he was a lionhead/lop mix and that he is around 7 weeks old (I found out only today while doing more research that this is a bit too young for the pet store to be selling him, which I'm sorry about!) I want to give him the best care possible, and be as informed as I can, so I have a bunch of questions about caring for him. If you guys could provide the answers to even just a few I'd be grateful! A lot of sources have conflicting information and I'd like to get it down pat.

Congrats on your new little guy!
-His current cage (temporary for only one more day until the larger one arrives) is pretty messy. I only set it up at 3pm yesterday and I gave it a thorough cleaning this morning as soon as I woke up, removing all of the waste and putting all of his hay back in the food bowl. But it's already a mess again. Are there any tips for keeping it cleaner? He seems to be pooping a lot and I'd love to get him litter trained before I eventually get him fixed- is this possible?

He should have a litter box set up immediately. Some young ones will take to it right away. Others won't. But even those that do may lose that habit with the onset of hormones. So don't be discouraged if that occurs. Once neutered, rabbits train themselves. All you have to do is have a properly set-up litter box.

His hay can be put directly in the litter box. It needs to be easily accessible.

-Is it true young buns should be consuming unlimited hay? I was given Timothy hay at the pet store in my kit but now it's come to my attention alfalfa is better for babies. Would feeding him unlimited alfalfa (or Timothy) make him gain too much weight? How do you guys make sure there's enough hay in the cage at all times? Hendrix will chew through a whole pile in an hour.

All buns, regardless of age, should have unlimited hay. Timothy hay is just fine, preferred actually if his pellets are alfalfa-based. Young rabbits can handle the extra richness of alfalfa but they don't need both their pellets and their hay to be alfalfa. In fact, alfalfa hay is so sweet to them, that they may resist switching to timothy hay when they become adults (6 months of age). It is best to stick with timothy (or other grass) hay. [Alfalfa is not a grass but a legume.] Unlimited grass hay can never make a rabbit fat. There's no such thing as too much grass hay.
-He was very calm about being held yesterday, and I still think he likes to be held because while he's free ranging in my room he'll hop up on my lap. But sometimes he goes to lightly nibble on my fingers while doing this.. is there a way to stop him from doing that or is it normal?

Nibbles are his way of exploring. If it becomes a problem, you can discourage it be giving a yelp when he does. Ideally, he should be left alone for the first 48 hours and not handled. It's great though if he seems to like attention, but don't get too comfortable with it. His behavior can totally change when those hormones kick in. Handling him alot is NOT going to make him like to be held when he's older. That will depend solely on his innate character which won't be seen until he is older.

Not for males unless his behavior becomes intolerable. Each rabbit reacts to the onset of hormones differently. With some, the change is barely noticeable. With others, all the hormonal behaviors begin -- grumpiness, growling, lunging, biting, forgetting potty habits, spraying urine (yes, spraying urine, usually all over you like a shower).

Rabbits like to explore -- tunnels, cardboard boxes with doorways, paper grocery bags, etc.

None -- especially when potty training. The only litter should be in the litter box. Bedding over the whole cage floor only confuses him as to where to potty.
-Are there any products you recommend to hide wires/bunny-proof my room further?

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bunny-proofing.html
-Should he be on a strict eating schedule with the pellets? How much should I give him?

At his age he can have pellets 24/7. When he's 5-6 months of age, they will be changed to adult pellets and severely limited.
The only reason they may need to be limited now is if he is not eating enough hay. You want him to eat about his body size in hay everyday. If he prefers the pellets over the hay, then the pellets will need to be reduced.

-Lastly, is it inevitable that his ears will lop, or is it possible that since he's a first-gen mix he'll inherit the lionhead ears that are upright? Of course I'd think he's the cutest bunny in the world anyway, but I just love his pointy ears! Out of all of his brothers and sisters, he's one of two that is very markedly lionhead-ish. I'll attach a picture of them all. And him too, sunbathing and napping a few hours ago because it's just too cute!

Thanks so much.

For further rabbit care info, check around the rest of my website. I've linked it already under your bunny proofing question.

Thanks so much.

Well for one you can most likely start litter training right away to keep the mess size to a minimum. Other than that I really don't think there is much else you can do, BUT if you are using shavings of some sort I recommend to get the horse stove pellets from tractor supply as they last quite literally 2x as long. When your bun pees on the pellets, instead of getting wet and gross it actually turns into a sawdust-like mixture and when it gets peed on a second time THEN it gets wet.

I don't see anything wrong with giving him unlimited hay normally but if you feel it would do your bunny good then you can limit the hay to see if there is any noticeable changes, but I think it should still be fine. I haven't used alfalfa hay though, but my bun was fine on it. Also my bun isn't a big hay fan so I have no knowledge on how to keep it filled other than simply trying to fit as much as you can.

As long as she isn't biting hard or aggressively I don't think it's really an issue, but my bun wasn't a big nipper.

I haven't spayed my bun and as long as you are keeping him away from other buns and not planning on getting him a friend it is not absolutely necessary. I don't but that is my personal opinion and you do you, but this is a good resource that I found on it: Spaying and Neutering

I keep my bun entertained by interactive toys like this treat ball that I put my buns daily pellets in: https://www.amazon.com/Niteangel-Tr...9418349&sprefix=rabbit+toy+tre,aps,206&sr=8-1
I also have a old tunnel that was from a toy tent since no one uses it anymore.

I use pine pellets which in my mind are quite more absorbent and last longer than shavings, but I can't say on any other beddings.

No since I don't really have a chewing bunny I don't have to bunny proof (lucky me I know).

Since he is still a baby he should get unlimited pellets for proper growth, but as he gets older you should limit the pellets to about (depending on how well your rabbit does on it) a 1/2 cup.

Since it is a first gen it has a pretty basic 50% chance of getting lop ears. So just wait and see!

I hope this helped!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back